Feck Up. Ideas/Suggestions please ...

What's Hot
On this other thread, I've been slowly putting together a Q4 challenge guitar.

You'd think I'd have learned by now, given the number of times that this has got me into trouble before, not to think "ahhh, I've got a spare half-hour, I'll just nip out to the workshop and do XXX".

Because that generally leads to me doing something quickly, which generally leads to fecks-right-up.

Putting a roundover on the top of the body to create a natural binding effect when I add the top coats.

So far, so good ...

And then ...

Yup, numpty error, etc.

I swore.  Quite loudly.

Trying to fill that, or cut in another piece that matches - can't see that working.  Best idea I've had so far is to try to make some sort of contrasting piece of metal that slots into the top and folds over to be the jack socket cover - a one piece thing that looks like a fancy jack socket.

But I'm very open to other suggestions ....
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 30209
    I was thinking a bit of brass or chrome tube. Highlight/celebrate it. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15275
    Make a feature of it.

Older Fretboarders may remember El Maya guitars from the late Seventies and early Eighties. To avoid litigation, they cut a few semi-circular notches in their bodies and/or headstocks.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    It's neat enough that you can make it look intentional.  Like you intended it to highlight where the jack socket goes.

I think Sporky's idea of a metal tube will look fun, but need to match it to the jack socket

or make a wooden plug to do the same thing, maybe hollowed out to act as a circular jack socket... like an oversized electrosocket

An L shaped piece of metal will also work.  I had a lapsteel with a jack socket mounted like that.  Im just not sure how you tie it in  visually with the rest of the guitar
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    In its own way it looks quite cool, I wonder if it would work to somehow make in an intentional feature? 

Incidentally, I've done that either two or three times with my 6 instrument builds! It's bloody annoying!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15275
    What about one of those Dan Armstrong jack socket effect units? They had names along the lines of Lemon Squeezer, Brown Finger, Purple People Eater et cetera.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Do you use a wireless system (the type with a bug transmitter)?  Could you mount the socket on the inside of the cavity, and use the recess to stop it sticking out so much?
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

It's such a super-neat bit of routing that it deserves highlighting. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28444
    Thanks guys.

I've stopped swearing now.

I think you're (all) right in that I've got to make it into a feature.  Hiding it isn't going to work.  

I could use a piece of aluminium tube, matching the outer diameter of the jack socket hole (which is 25mm, helpfully).  Then a piece of contrasting wooden dowelling on the inside of that, drilled out to fit an eletrosocket.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    It's such a super-neat bit of routing that it deserves highlighting. 
    The roundover did make a beautifully sharp line at the edge of the top & sides.  Much cleaner than I would have managed if I'd tried masking off to stop spillover between the blue & white stain. 

So, in that respect, the experiment was a success!!

(I might have stopped swearing, but I'll be kicking myself for a while longer yet).
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    When I looked at the picture I assumed it was intentional.

Make a feature of it.

Make a feature of it.
    If I can make it work, this thread will disappear  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

TTony said:

Make a feature of it.
    If I can make it work, this thread will disappear  ;)
    I assume my cheque is in the post. 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3222
    If its any consolation Im guilty of doing exactly the same thing, trying to achieve the same binding effect….

It made great kindling, but thats because I couldn't think of a way to fix it….
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Sporky said:
    I assume my cheque is in the post. 
    I'll assume that too
    :D
    Right, slightly calmer, stop swearing, open a can of cold Crabbies and start thinking

(I do like having a workshop full of that'll-come-in-handy-one-day bits).

Option1;

Don't need the alu tube - I could use this (25mm dia) Walnut dowel, with a jack socket hole drilled through the middle.

Bit of glue around the outside, and it's already a tight fit, so that would work.
    edited October 2022
    Option2

I've had these on a shelf for years.  Made by a friend who's had a CNC machine a lot longer than me

Slightly oversize, so sand to fit, ready drilled for the jack socket (Walnut again, but I've also got the same in Maple and Sapele).

[edit] these are only *just* thick enough to cover the wandering roundover mis-cut, so maybe not ideal.
    Option3;

Make my own versions of the above, out of these come-in-handy-one-day pieces of vintage rosewood (old parquet flooring)

Those pieces, with a bit of oil, would make a nice matching contrast to both the white sides and the blue top.
  • Could you fit some manner of slightly recessed kill switch in a way that it looks like the notch is a handy guide for the digit, and cut another jack socket hole elsewhere?  
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    Recess the jack socket hole back to match the notch? It does look very neat.
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 9017
    I usually have difficulty finding the hole (if you'll pardon the expression) when I try and plug in the cable by feel alone, and often have to tilt the guitar up a bit to see the plate.  Having a thoughtfully included "feature" to help with visual alignment of the jack is a great idea.  If you decide to recess the socket the notch might also allow you to use a 90 degree jack if you chose to do so.