How do you thwart the string tangling pixies?

What's Hot
So whenever I am working on the innards of my Strats and keeping the strings currently installed thus only removing them from the tuners, without fail when my attention is focused elsewhere the pixies emerge from their hiding place and tie all my strings together in a big clump. No matter how carefully I try to keep the strings apart (eg. separating the bass and trebles and laying them in different directions) the pixies do their worst.

Even if I am just briefly glancing under the pickguard to check a connection, the string tangling pixies work their evil magic in a matter of seconds leaving me with guitar string spaghetti to untie for about two hours while they sit there laughing at me.

How can I counter their magic? This is worse than all the plectrums they hide that I drop on the floor.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 7430
    edited October 2022
    I just wrap them together near the tuner end with a black twist wire that comes on all audio cables - keeps the worst tanging at bay. I wrap it in a spiral along the bundle of strings to cover about 5cm.
    5076 Twist Tie Stock Photos Pictures  Royalty-Free Images - iStock

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8078
    Capo on 1st fret
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3222
    edited October 2022
    Slacken stings
    Capo 1st fret
    Pop the neck off
    Carefully set the neck out of the way

Done it loads of times ( but only once on a set neck!)  =)
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57 said:
    Slacken stings
    Capo 1st fret
    Pop the neck off
    Carefully set the neck out of the way

Done it loads of times ( but only once on a set neck!)  =)
    Ah yes I forgot, have actually done it that way before. I'm guess I'm just a bit wary about doing that too many times in case I wear down the neck holes/threads.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28752
    I usually put a bit of masking tape around them between tuners and nut. That was way they stay like a ribbon and can't ever touch, never mind get tangled. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9128
    If you want to hold the strings further up the neck than a capo allows the use a hair bobble. 

What do you mean, you haven’t got one of those girly things? Any self respecting guitarist needs one waiting behind the nut for those octo-digital tapping moments.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.