How To - Your First Partscaster

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    Indeed there are. David Fletcher (think that's his Youtube username too) for all things Strat/Tele ground-up builds. And he'll answer yer emails all the way from the Land of Beer and BBQ's. And Wrinkly Women.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11859
    tFB Trader
    Never never never never assume anything will fit anything else. Read the tech spec, hole spacings (especially Strat bridges), pole spacings on pickups .... just never think it'll all fit together perfectly without work! Oh, and watch out for some Tele bridge pickup routings ... especially on cheap e bay unfinished bodies: they actually are too small for many regular Fender sized Tele baseplates and need 'fettling'.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just bang one together, you will learn so much more by doing it all wrong first :)) Great fun anyway, nothing is insurmountable. Go for it.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    I have done one, and about to do another

- but thought this would be a good topic for dabblers
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Excellent reply ! ;) not as ugly as some of the things that I have made
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17461
    Never never never never assume anything will fit anything else.  .... just never think it'll all fit together perfectly without work! O
    yep.   caught me out again recently, its been a long time since it has   

it was on a brand of guitar that I have worked on many times of before, and I was given parts to assemble.   The body was custom made and i assumed it was made to original dimensions

the parts pretty much fit together, so I put together without measuring and quickly realised the neck was 4mm too far away from  the body and i would not ever be able to string it up (being headless and having a very precise string length)

no-one's fault but my own, there was no reason for not measuring it sooner... and it was a good reminder never to assume things will fit together just because they should fit together.   all is fixed now 

• jd0272 said:
    Buy a shed. 

Best thing the wife's ever bought me.

I can store my 4x12's in it, do all manner of guitar related things in it with me tools, and sit on me chair in it, and have a stiff bourbon and a JPS black when I fck something up.

It's also useful when the Mrs is watching X-FactorPopIdolBritiain'sGotTalentDancingOnIceFatBirdsPoppingBabiesOutOfTheirFanniesOnTellyShitAboutVampiresAndGeordieFcknShore.

LOL!!!!!!!!
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 765
    Well, here's a video which shows how NOT do it from someone who doesn't have a clue :P Wrong match between body and neck, mismacht between gold and chrome hardware, not a clue about installing stagered tunners, etc. but yet with a very annoying I Know It All and condescendent attitude
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 702
    Careful about neck pocket dimensions. My Squier Strat body, for example, is 57mm...but all the Mighty Mite necks are 55.5mm. Kinda makes a mess of things.
    Sorry, not true. I have a MM tele and it was bang on 56mm.
  • Warmoth are excellent. Guitarbuild are supposed to be great, too. There is a member on here who I was going to commission for a beautiful prs or les paul alike, but sadly my funds fell through and cuts means my hours are still reduced. Can't remember his name, but as soon as I've got some spare cash, I'm messaging him!

Oh, don't always go for original hardware. I'm not saying go for the cheapest around, but gotoh will often be affordable and is excellent. Just make sure you check dimensions, particularly tele bridges! Fender have some oddballs.

Er... Oh, factor in extra cash for a fret dress and set up. I didn't and my jazzmaster is playable but not wonderful.
    tFB Trader
    fnpt said:
    Well, here's a video which shows how NOT do it from someone who doesn't have a clue :P Wrong match between body and neck, mismacht between gold and chrome hardware, not a clue about installing stagered tunners, etc. but yet with a very annoying I Know It All and condescendent attitude
    What an annoying, supercilious, condescending, incompetent knob-cheese that chap is. Probably works in local government ...  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    fnpt said:
    What an annoying, supercilious, condescending, incompetent knob-cheese that chap is. Probably works in local government ...  
    I didn't like to say it, but yes! He doesn't understand how shielding works, if you watch the one where he makes a blue strat. His method is line the cavities with foil, and that's it, no need to connect anything to earth...  :D
    tFB Trader
    A mate of mine who's a copper reckons there should be an offense of 'being a twat with intent' ... I rather think this guy would get banged up.

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    A mate of mine who's a copper reckons there should be an offense of 'being a twat with intent' ... I rather think this guy would get banged up.
    He certainly fits the criteria!
  • fnpt said:
    Wrong match between body and neck, 
    I think the neck was probably okay but he misunderstood where he should be measuring to.