Books worth buying - techniques and history stuff?

What's Hot
Hi folks. 
I’ve been skimming through some very old build threads here and reading a load of really interesting posts.  One thing I noticed was that a few of these older posts had quite detailed discussions on different build approaches and techniques which generated a lot of discussion and good natured “argument”. 
One good example would be Gibsons choice of tenon designs - long, short, full width etc and the merits/otherwise. 

I noticed a few posts citing information from various “history” books, and it made me wonder which books would be worth seeking out to read up on construction techniques and history associated with Gibson, Fender etc 

I have quite a few luthiers books now - Melvyns books, Martin Koch’s book, Benedetto’s archtop book, the Leo lesponnato book, 

And then general guitar info stuff ; 
all the obvious the Haynes manuals,
 History of Gibson (from 1950) Ian Bishop
the PRS books 
Tony Bacon complete history of the Les Paul
Beauty of the Burst 

So, what others would be worth getting hold of - any gems, whether electric or acoustic 
?
I’m interested in the fine details of all this stuff including hand tool approaches as well as machining and find it all pretty fascinating reading. 

Cheers
pete 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15275
    The Blackguard by Nacho Baños. 

"A detailed history of the early Fender Telecaster years 1950 - 1954." Hundreds of detailed photographs of early production Fender electric Spanish guitars. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10104
    The Blackguard by Nacho Baños. 

"A detailed history of the early Fender Telecaster years 1950 - 1954." Hundreds of detailed photographs of early production Fender electric Spanish guitars. 
    Absolutely. One of my fave books ever.
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 947
    Trading feedback - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/228538/neilybob

flanging_fed “
    A Les Paul, @ThorpyFX ;;Veteran and the 4010 is awesome at volume, it’s like playing Thor’s hammer!” Ref Marshall JCM800 4010 combo 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9017
    edited October 2022
    For the actual history part of the various brands and models you could listen to all of the YouTube videos by the guy with the channel named "Five Watt World", i.e. the one that speaks in a monotone voice and looks like a genetic mix-up of Ned Flanders and General Custer.  By the time you have watched them all you will have read all the books that he used as the source of his information and saved yourself a fortune .... if you have been able to stay awake through the droning.  [EDIT:  I see he has recently shaved off his moustache and goatee]
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    edited October 2022
    Assuming this is mainly about building techniques, the online discussions really were the best place. Sadly it seems we are moving to an internet where people like to show, but not discuss beyond the wows and likes.  Back in the old days when I was planning my first build it was a lot more interactive, collaborative... and free. 

Melvyn's book is one of the best for teaching different methods in electric guitar construction as for almost everything he shows, he suggests other ways it could be done.   Most other books will just show one way and that is it.

Stuff like this is really good to get the brain thinking in a different, more technical way
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1912677059/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Tap-Tuning-Instruments-Paperback/dp/B00FKYWW6Q/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3UNOAMQ8FOEKT&keywords=tap+tuning&qid=1667200179&sprefix=tap+tuning,aps,88&sr=8-2

this is a good intro to the common generalizations we see posted all over the internet, just don't take any of it as fact!!  At this price it's worth it for a light read.  I wouldn't pay full price
    https://www.wob.com/en-gb/books/dave-hunter/electric-guitar-sourcebook/9780879308865?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiMTZw_SJ-wIVBe_tCh38KAgiEAQYBSABEgLG5vD_BwE#GOR005852843

Some bold claims indeed
    ""Electric Guitar Sound" is the first publication to thoroughly dissect issues of guitar sound and construction for the working player. The book includes an in-depth analysis of the many components of tone, an examination of the most important vintage and modern models, and a CD of comparative sound samples. How does an ash body differ from alder? What subtle colorations does a rosewood fingerboard add to a maple neck? Which bridge hardware maximizes body resonance? How do Gibson P-90 pickups differ from Fender Jazzmaster pickups? "Electric Guitar Sound" will tell you, and along the way will help any player translate the myriad variables in wood, hardware and pickup options into the tone and playing feel that is just right for them."
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
    WezV said:
    Assuming this is mainly about building techniques, the online discussions really were the best place. Sadly it seems we are moving to an internet where people like to show, but not discuss beyond the wows and likes.  Back in the old days when I was planning my first build it was a lot more interactive, collaborative... and free. 

Melvyn's book is one of the best for teaching different methods in electric guitar construction as for almost everything he shows, he suggests other ways it could be done.   Most other books will just show one way and that is it.

Stuff like this is really good to get the brain thinking in a different, more technical way
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1912677059/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Tap-Tuning-Instruments-Paperback/dp/B00FKYWW6Q/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3UNOAMQ8FOEKT&keywords=tap+tuning&qid=1667200179&sprefix=tap+tuning,aps,88&sr=8-2

this is a good intro to the common generalizations we see posted all over the internet, just don't take any of it as fact!!  At this price it's worth it for a light read.  I wouldn't pay full price
    https://www.wob.com/en-gb/books/dave-hunter/electric-guitar-sourcebook/9780879308865?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiMTZw_SJ-wIVBe_tCh38KAgiEAQYBSABEgLG5vD_BwE#GOR005852843

Some bold claims indeed
    ""Electric Guitar Sound" is the first publication to thoroughly dissect issues of guitar sound and construction for the working player. The book includes an in-depth analysis of the many components of tone, an examination of the most important vintage and modern models, and a CD of comparative sound samples. How does an ash body differ from alder? What subtle colorations does a rosewood fingerboard add to a maple neck? Which bridge hardware maximizes body resonance? How do Gibson P-90 pickups differ from Fender Jazzmaster pickups? "Electric Guitar Sound" will tell you, and along the way will help any player translate the myriad variables in wood, hardware and pickup options into the tone and playing feel that is just right for them."

Yep - you hit the nail on the head Wez.  Those old threads seem to have lots of meaty discussion on build techniques and tips / how’s and why’s , which is what really interests me.  That’s why the full build threads are so fascinating - seeing how stuff is done and the creative problem solving used to get there.  Sadly you’re right - todays social media and popular culture in general is all about “show” - Sam Fender has it right when he talks about poundshop kardashians. 

Still YouTube has some gems - Fletcher guitars and Freddysfrets for example. M I Tarr too.  I’ve been looking at ways to cut really accurate angled shoulders on LP style tenons and found FreddyGs series on building Les Pauls, and his simple box jig for cutting perfectly symmetrical tenon shoulders is genius in its simplicity and effectiveness.  

I have ordered a couple of books you have mentioned there - but the Siminoff tap tone book is unavailable for now, I will look around for that. 

I haven’t got Melvyns latest book yet, but have the others.  I did register to pre-order it but got missed with everything his wife was having to deal with I guess.  

There were some scans from pages of a book about Gibson on an old thread where you, Graham and Danielsguitars were discussing the advantages and disadvantages of gibsons tenons - I wonder what book that was?  

Cheers
    pete 
    I'm not sure what book those were from, I found them on one of the Gibson forums when I found details of the Les Paul prototype with full width tenon. 
    other great books, but about more unusual guitars, are the Story of Paul Bigsby, and the Red Special book. 
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 897
    You may have seen them already, but Gil Yaron on TDPRI (username: preeb) has posted a few fascinating build threads.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/new-design-proto-build-lyra.950753/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
    Great !!   That book looks like a great read @WezV ;

yep - i have the red special book - very interesting indeed.  Who says you can use oak in a guitar !!  Tell millions of Queen fans that. 

@Zoolooter - ta.  Yes, ive seen the thread where Gil builds a replica 59 LP.  Brilliant stuff.  I much prefer the non CNC threads because when i see CNC i instantly think “ I’m not going to be able to take anything useful from this…”. I like the traditional approaches most ( well handtools, routers, bandsaws and sanders ) 

much as i like the online threads i really like browsing the books too. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom