Small Grover tele machine heads fault..

These are the dome backed ones with the smaller button and the black thin wall washer and then the usual s washer - one of mine (bloody typically G - isn't it always ) has developed an odd fault - it will tune and stay "locked"but the tuner key can sometimes do another 1/3 turn without any resistance - feels as if a shim or something else is missing within it - I'll most likely move it to the A string but anyone had a similar experience ?? I'm Damned if I'm going to buy a new set (even if I can find similar )   Cheers Mike
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15274
    edited October 2022
    When the tuner key/button does that extra ⅓ of a turn with seemingly no resistance, does the tuner shaft turn too?

When you say "lock", are you referring to actual locking machineheads? (Presumably, the model with the locking mechanism at the top end of the post?)

Check the nylon washer for a split.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    Sounds like it might have a broken gear tooth.

Can you post a pic? I have a few individual spare Grovers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15274
    ICBM said:
    I have a few individual spare Grovers.
    PM heading your way.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I've dismantled the sod it's toast ..  :-(
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    I've dismantled the sod it's toast ..  :-(
    Which exact type is it? Even if I don’t have a complete one to match, it’s possible to replace just the mechanism - the difficult bit is getting them apart.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein