Wilkinson Vintage Strat Trems - sticky ball ends?

What's Hot
Hi All,

I've got a Wilkinson Vintage Strat trem which is quite a nice piece of kit but changing strings can be a ball ache (excuse the pun). The ball ends get stuck in the block meaning I need to shove an allen key down from the top to dislodge them.

Anyone got a demon dodge for solving this (other than buying a different trem unit)?

Ta!
Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    Is your vibrato sustain block made from cold rolled steel or something softer?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Is your vibrato sustain block made from cold rolled steel or something softer?
    I shall check tonight but I thought all of the Wilkinson vintage strat units with the staggered holes were steel... could be wrong, though! :-)

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3222
    I use Fender 250’s strings which seems to help, I recall Fender used to produce “ bullet” ended strings to solve this very problem and to allow the string to seat in the trem hole more reliably than the usual cylindrical string end
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57 said:
    I use Fender 250’s strings which seems to help, I recall Fender used to produce “ bullet” ended strings to solve this very problem and to allow the string to seat in the trem hole more reliably than the usual cylindrical string end
    Quite apart from the three minute life, my experience was that fender bullets stuck in tremelos really well, while traditional strings didn't
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 528
    tFB Trader
    Standard Wilkinson blocks are zinc, but I think most you find for sale are sintered steel. Wilkinson offer a milled steel block but it doubles the price of the trem.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    I’ve just dug it out… it’s zinc.
    So time to find a better Trem!!