EVENTIDE H9 Max

VoxsupertwinVoxsupertwin Frets: 341
Just got one of these, not new, but v good nick.

Impressive bit of kit……

Hooked it up to my MacBook using the H9 Control App and tweaking is a straightforward process.

Tweaking from the pedal is a bit more complex and needs reference to the user guide.

Anyway , one complaint against the H9 is that it only does one effect at a time….

This isn’t strictly true…it only does one Algorithm at a time ….

and an Algorithm can contain up to 4 predetermined effects….

the Algorithms are designed by EVENTIDE and cannot be modified, but the EVENTIDE team know their stuff, and there isn’t any usage for a sane guitarist that isn’t available….

Of course if you want to pick every aspect of a ‘sound’ yourself then the H9 isn’t for you …

but you would be missing out on the fidelity and quality of the sounds available….

they are exceptional ….

Not an all singing & dancing bit of kit, but a Pro bit of kit that sounds wonderful …..

and with the release of the new H90 the H9 is coming on the market at  a good price…

deffo worth checking out ….

cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nice review. On paper, I always thought these look great and should have tried it be by now but I just can’t get over the UI. it really puts me off. 
    How very rock and roll
  • Nice review. On paper, I always thought these look great and should have tried it be by now but I just can’t get over the UI. it really puts me off. 

I agree the UI is daunting, but as I only use the H9 in my studio it’s not an issue as I am not under pressure.

Live gig would be a different matter and having all the required sounds sorted in advance would be necessary as tweaking on the fly would be a real challenge.

But then many of the latest multi effects units are not dead easy either.

I’ve had several boxes of tricks over my 67 years of gigging and always felt/feel happiest with a few discrete pedals with knobs on….

Still, gigging is at an end so I can sit at my desk and tweak away on my laptop and explore the wonders of the H9 !

cheers

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7718
    edited November 2022
    While there’s no doubting that there are many parameters per algorithm and very few controls, and that this means pernickety menu diving, I think Eventide have to be applauded for what they DID achieve UI-wise:

The app : nobody had this at the time - Line6 still say that app control over Bluetooth was never  possible, and the Strymon units of the same era didn’t go there, but Eventide made it happen.

Hot-knobs : once you’ve got your patch set up, the ability to assign ANY 3 parameters to they x,y,z buttons on the units sparse controls was a great option. Any parameters likely to need a tweak gig to gig or venue to venue CAN be right at your fingertips. 
    Red ones are better.