Parental controls device by device

What's Hot
I don't want to enable full blown web filtering at the ISP I am after all and adult and may want to look at inappropriate material. However I don't have admin rights to all devices my children use (especially my step daughters devices, that either her father or she has purchesed). Anybody know if BT allows you to set up parental controls on a device my device basis as the home hub only allows you to control time.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• They used to give a free download to security software and a net nanny type proggy for BT customers. Not sure if they still do but when I signed up again for Infinity 2 they offered it again to us.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    I do have controls enabled on my daughter's devices, but since her friends come round with their devices and use the wi-fi which I have no control over, I just told her that I can look up the access log on the router and there had better not be any dodgy stuff on it or she will suddenly find her connection turned off. I demonstrated the principle by showing her the log for my access on the computer.

I have no idea how to access the log for the router or even if such a thing exists or is possible! But I doubt she does either...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Some routers will let you set up rules by device. I've got my Sky router set up to block internet for certain devices - kids tablets and phones - which I can enable/disable as necessary. I had to tell it to fix their IP addresses. It doesn't let me set rules per device, but it should be possible with decent routers.
  • If you use more than one wireless access point, then I hope you should be able to do what you want:

keep the provider's one for you - change the password, and add a second router set to work as just a wireless switch (DHCP stetings). I think you can still set filtering up on the second router. options. Also keeps all the slow wireless traffic off the wireless you are using

OpenDNS works on some routers, I have not read up on it

• BT still provides the MacAfee parental software - which I installed on the PCs the kids use, but now to get it, they only give one license (if they have set it up the way they say), and you need to enable the ISP-level filtering first (although you can immediately set a custom option to disable all filtering)

Of course, the MacAfee software doesn't cover all the non-PC gadgets. You can install k9, etc on those, but a router-based solution may be good 

• May have to go with a different router. Installed MS parental controls on my son PC. Just the daughters is the issue.