SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: Extended range 7/8 String. Must be in great condition and well setup.

As the title says. 

I am looking for an extended range guitar. Preferably 8 string and scale length must be at least 27.5". Fanned frets also considered. 

Must be in fantastic condition. 

Budget up to £800, though preferably less. 
Ibanez RG550 Genesis

Musicman Stingray USA

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm selling an Ormsby 8 - the scale is 25.5” - 28.3” - details: https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/237920/ormsby-gtr8-8-string#latest

It's a bit more than you're looking to pay and you'd struggle to get a decent (playable, holds its tuning) 8 for much less than 800 anyway - although the Harley Bentons I've tried have been amazing for the money, worth a look?
  • ParkaParka Frets: 11
    Cort do an 8 string multi scale, and a used one would fit your budget. I had one as an experiment but sold it as I prefer 6 strings. Great guitar, and it’s only brand snobbery that keeps the cost down - it definitely punches above its price point. 
  • Parka said:
    Cort do an 8 string multi scale, and a used one would fit your budget. I had one as an experiment but sold it as I prefer 6 strings. Great guitar, and it’s only brand snobbery that keeps the cost down - it definitely punches above its price point. 
    The Cort range looks great. Didn’t know they did these too. Going on how their 6s look I’d second the above.
  • AsomodaiAsomodai Frets: 105
    edited November 2022
    I'm selling an Ormsby 8 - the scale is 25.5” - 28.3” - details: https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/237920/ormsby-gtr8-8-string#latest

It's a bit more than you're looking to pay and you'd struggle to get a decent (playable, holds its tuning) 8 for much less than 800 anyway - although the Harley Bentons I've tried have been amazing for the money, worth a look?
    I think that is massaging the truth somewhat. My backup plan is the new Schecter HellRaiser C-8 at Andertons for 799. 28" Scale, EMG's etc. I am sure that will hold tune. 

I did see your advert, but I was never a fan of the headstock!

Ibanez RG550 Genesis

Musicman Stingray USA

• Asomodai said:
    I'm selling an Ormsby 8 - the scale is 25.5” - 28.3” - details: https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/237920/ormsby-gtr8-8-string#latest

I think that is massaging the truth somewhat. My backup plan is the new Schecter HellRaiser C-8 at Andertons for 799. 28" Scale, EMG's etc. I am sure that will hold tune. 

Not really - I only said that as you won't often get a decent fanned-fret extended-range guitar with decent spec below that price (or considerably above). The fan frets make a big difference to the sound/stability, and you get a much tighter sound without having to resort to really heavy strings. I've owned several of each and that's just my experience anyway, but it's worth trying out the fan-fret against the non-fanned equivalent. I didn't know Cort did them - and the reviews of their recent 6-strings have been great - hence seconding the other comment that they were worth a look  =)
  • AsomodaiAsomodai Frets: 105
    edited November 2022
    Asomodai said:

Not really - I only said that as you won't often get a decent fanned-fret extended-range guitar with decent spec below that price (or considerably above). The fan frets make a big difference to the sound/stability, and you get a much tighter sound without having to resort to really heavy strings. I've owned several of each and that's just my experience anyway, but it's worth trying out the fan-fret against the non-fanned equivalent. I didn't know Cort did them - and the reviews of their recent 6-strings have been great - hence seconding the other comment that they were worth a look 
    You didn't say "You won't often get a decent fanned fret...."

You just said 8 string. 

I also said that Fan Frets would be considered, not mandatory

Ibanez RG550 Genesis

Musicman Stingray USA

• Asomodai said:
    Asomodai said:

Not really - I only said that as you won't often get a decent fanned-fret extended-range guitar with decent spec below that price (or considerably above). The fan frets make a big difference to the sound/stability, and you get a much tighter sound without having to resort to really heavy strings. I've owned several of each and that's just my experience anyway, but it's worth trying out the fan-fret against the non-fanned equivalent. I didn't know Cort did them - and the reviews of their recent 6-strings have been great - hence seconding the other comment that they were worth a look 
    You didn't say "You won't often get a decent fanned fret...."

You just said 8 string. 

I also said that Fan Frets would be considered, not mandatory

true - but I'd consider fanned frets a necessity for 8 strings - for the tension and so the thing stays in tune with itself with chords (and in general). Hope you enjoy whatever you get!