Kemper power rack

What's Hot
Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3531
edited September 2014 in Amps
Inspired by some of the discussion on here lately, I tried a kemper power rack today, through an orange 2x12.

Quite an intuitive interface. Lots of decent sounding profiles at first glance, although biased heavily to the high gain side of things. Some reasonable sounding effects patches too. Pita scrolling through them all though!

What I didn't like was the 'feel'. It's much better than a pod or an apogee jam or similar, but it had no 'bounce' and no sparkle. Although the patches I tried were all very different, they also all somehow seemed the same, because they all felt the same to play.

For recording I guess that's not an issue as much, but for live use I don't think id find it very inspiring. Although my use case would be for home use mainly, it seems odd to spend over a grand on something that can't be used live too.

My general impression is...close but not quite.

On the other hand perhaps a used non-power version for home use and recording makes sense. Hmmm maybe the idea will grow on me.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stevehsteveh Frets: 277
    What I didn't like was the 'feel'. It's much better than a pod or an apogee jam or similar, but it had no 'bounce' and no sparkle. Although the patches I tried were all very different, they also all somehow seemed the same, because they all felt the same to play.

My general impression is...close but not quite.

My thoughts exactly. I went with a friend who was amp shopping and tried one and thought it was really, really great. Spent a lot of time on a Lazy j20 profile. However, we then went and tried the real thing and there was no contest - the valve amp was far more present and 3D, and felt different to play.

I had a Fractal Axe FX a couple of years ago and returned it to G66. It was 90% of the way there but not near enough to my ears. However, if what you want is something that's incredibly versatile, all in one box, and extremely convenient, then they are great - recording with them is easy. It's just that - to my ears - they are not near enough to a real valve amp in terms of tone and feel, and that's what I'm most interested in. They do different jobs. It would be nice to have both... 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    I agree to an extent. A real valve amp and cab pushing air just is the benchmark. It just is. Digital will never reproduce that experience 100%. Once you accept this you start to see the benefits of each device. Kempers is intuition and great recorded sound. Axe is versatility and open ended complexity. Pod is... Well it's a good floor unit!

They're just different tools giving a different experience.
  • I've not tried that setup, but the feel of playing the Axe FX through a cab is pretty good, once you've dialled it in. It isn't very plug in and play though IMO. I'd love to have both, but given my needs and since I have to pick one I'm happy with digital right now. If money and practicality were not issues I'd happily own both.
  • I actually had the same impression of the Kemper when I tried one - admittedly not long after launch.  Trying it next to a Tone Kong Falcon mainly (no profile for that - but it was an amp I was potentially interested in).  Its during that test that I also tried to remove the cab part and play via a power amp and cab - ant it just didnt work - again at the time.

I have been using an AFX almost exclusively with amp/cab for 6 years this November (OMG - REALLY that long), and there are times Im not 100% happy still, but mostly Im fine with it.  I bought a combo not long ago - basically as a pick up and go solution and a valve reference tone (after not having one for so long), and after a couple of weeks - its not been on.  Its a great amp - not top echelon, but pretty damn good (Fender Machete) and it does have something a little different about it when I do use it, but the AFX juts has tomes I want - and have been crafting fdo so long - and I keep going back to it for the flexibility and choice.

Possibly Im just so conditioned to the AFX now - possibly I just prefer how it sounds/reacts next to a a real amp.  Its highly likely that a comment I made some years back is actually true.  The AFX (and by association the Kemper - both are great, and suit different types of people) are JUST as good (once you hone your patches) as a decent amp, BUT not quite as good as a top end offering.

After trying plenty over the years, I feel like the AFX is just as good if not better (at some stuff, and from experience of kit Ive tried) than Lower end Engators,  Mesa Express stuff, Orange Rockerverbs, Pretty much any Modern Marshalls, Peaveys or Laneys.  HOWEVER, stick it next to a Suhr Badger, the Tone king Falcon, a Loanstar or a Dr Z, and it doesnt quite match up.

Ultimately you need to know your wants/needs.  If you want the best you can get - in your chosen genre, then get a top end amp.   If you happy with decent but not fantastic - and only want one genre amp its cheaper and probably easier to still get the amp.  If however you want a range of tones/styles and and are happy with decent - then the AFX or Kemper are killer.  If you want easy recording as well as live there even better - and if you need low volume at times there exceptional.    Ultimately every amp and every modeler, along with every guitar are only tools.  Its purely down to the end user to choose the tool or tools that do the job he wants the best for his circumstances and wallet.

Still really want a Suhr Badger though ................................
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stevehsteveh Frets: 277
    After trying plenty over the years, I feel like the AFX is just as good if not better (at some stuff, and from experience of kit Ive tried) than Lower end Engators,  Mesa Express stuff, Orange Rockerverbs, Pretty much any Modern Marshalls, Peaveys or Laneys.  HOWEVER, stick it next to a Suhr Badger, the Tone king Falcon, a Loanstar or a Dr Z, and it doesnt quite match up.
    I hadn't really thought of it like that but I think you're right on the nail. From my recollections, the AFX would have equalled or beat most amps I've had or played. It's the stuff that aims to get the nth degree of tone where it perhaps falls (just) short.