Nitrocellulose haze / blush - how to remove?

Mr_ClawMr_Claw Frets: 107
edited December 2022 in Making & Modding
Hi all,

You chaps always have an answer! I'm spraying some nitro on a neck and - suprise to none given the time of year - it's gone hazy. Any advice for how I can fix this please? As I undrerstand this is a cosequence of too cold / too moist environment.

I know Stewmac has a "blush retarder / eraser" but I can't find an equivalent in the UK. Would a simple light wipe with a bit of thinner, or a solvent like Isopropyl or naphtha do?

Thanks in advance.

C
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    wiping with thinners will remove the finish.  Spraying a mist of thinners can work but is very risky as just a hint too much will have your finish running down the surface.

I have had some luck rubbing back with  a coarse cloth not long after spraying.  I assume it breaks the surface enough to let out the moisture, but not enough to leave visible scratches.  There is a very small window of opportunity for this.

If it is too late for that, spray a very light coat on the next go.    

Anti-bloom thinners can be used if mixing your own, but will only get you so far if times of high humidity
  • Mr_ClawMr_Claw Frets: 107
    WezV said:
    wiping with thinners will remove the finish.  Spraying a mist of thinners can work but is very risky as just a hint too much will have your finish running down the surface.

I have had some luck rubbing back with  a coarse cloth not long after spraying.  I assume it breaks the surface enough to let out the moisture, but not enough to leave visible scratches.  There is a very small window of opportunity for this.

If it is too late for that, spray a very light coat on the next go.    

Anti-bloom thinners can be used if mixing your own, but will only get you so far if times of high humidity

Thanks.

Would a (very small!) amount of this work as an anti-bloom thinner do you think? https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-cellulose-thinners-125ml/p/0182560

Total noob to pretty much all of this!

Otherwise I guess it'as a sanding job.

ta.