House move - music setup around work desk ideas

What's Hot
I shall soon be moving house, and as part of the space saving thing I've suggested I condense my music equipment into a setup which effectively fits into my work desk (I work from home 100%). I'm thinking - computer plugged into my work monitor so I can switch between work and my own and use the big screen which is much nicer than pissing about with a laptop. Leave my interface always plugged in with wireless receiver, add some speaker stands either side of the desk (lkea ones looks good), and use the wonder of plugins such as Helix Native and Amplitube instead of what I currently use (Digitech GSP1101 modelling unit, which I'd sell to fund a desk and midi controller, as follows).

I'm looking to replace my current desk to one which is deep enough (currently my desk is not deep enough to have a laptop and computer keyboard back to back), I may even be able to rig up something whereby my 49 key music keyboard (Yamaha MX49) may be possibly stored on it as well and wheeled out - thinking a sort of shelf thing to stand my monitor on where the keyboard can sleep beneath it, to be dragged forward when I want to play it

I'm thinking like a usb midi foot controller on the floor under the desk (or in a case) to use with the guitar plugins, then either headphones or my speakers for sound. Will keep a few pedals which I like or which aren't modelled in Helix or Amplitube. I could also use the interface/computer setup to record more easily with my desktop mic stand for singing. I'm also looking forward to using said larger desk and better computer with my graphics drawing tablet and illustration software, but that's a separate thing and easy to set up.

I use Cubase as a Daw, but also have Reaper. I usually use Audacity to record as I find it records better than Cubase, not sure why. Loads of other plugins and IRs and stuff like that, I don't like "amp in the room" sounds so modelled recorded sounds (at managed volumes) are ideal for me.

I can foresee a few problems I may encounter.

1. The noise that computer monitors seem to impart onto guitar signal, which is like nails on a blackboard to me.
  2. I'll need a new computer, and I'd like it to be able to play guitar stuff with a small enough buffer to keep latency down and not have the horrible popping crackle noises. My current laptop is unable to do this, hence I don't really use the plugins I have because i have to record my other kit to avoid the latency and popping.
  3. I'll need the computer to be a desktop as you can't switch on a laptop without opening the lid.
  4. My speakers are ok but they seem to lack oomph to the sound, I think it's bass essentially they lack. When I play using headphones on my modelling unit presets, I can hear i've really over compensated the bass to the point of it being muddy and muffled through headphones or on recordings, but through the speakers it sounds fine so there's clearly some frequency cut off. I'm not sure I have the budget to upgrade them to anything worthwhile. I do have Harman Kardon Soundsticks currently plugged into the TV which have a woofer, I used to use those when I lived with my parents, but I'm not sure I'd trust them with the job in case of volume spikes etc.
  5. The keyboard may be a pain in the arse to house on the desk and make accessible and may have to wait until I've got my head together on it
  6. My current chair has arms which are not retractable, I don't have the budget for a new one, so I may have to put up with that.

Anyway, thought i'd share my ideas and concerns, as much for my own benefit and keeping track of stuff I suppose, but may be an interesting topic I guess. Not least to see how my tight-budgeted warped and overcomplicated mind works and to see if any of it actually comes off...

Any thoughts, tips or illustrations of similar such set ups would be great (I've really enjoyed stickyfiddle's "show us your music rooms" thread)

Thanks
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3662
    edited December 2022
    Plan on two screens/computer monitors. So much better for working.   

Invest in a decent pair of powered monitors it will make it all so much more rewarding.  I have a Denon hifi set up on my desk studio too so I can switch to a typical home setup.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
    edited December 2022
    Plan on two screens/computer monitors. So much better for working.   

Invest in a decent pair of powered monitors it will make it all so much more rewarding.  I have a Denon hifi set up on my desk studio too so I can switch to a typical home setup.
    I use one big screen and my work laptop screen for work - it works for my job as I read a lot of lease documents (PDF) which works perfectly on small screen, spreadsheet and inbox on the big screen. Working with two monitors would restrict the rest of the stuff I could have on the desk and would not give me any real advantage.

My monitor speakers are Fostex PM0.4n (Product Page), they are cheap and I think pretty unremarkable but sound ok when playing back recorded music, just a bit light I guess when just listening to my guitar playing so they need the bass jacking up (but i'd have to guess how much to reduce by when recording if that makes sense)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    I dislike using two computer screens, you are always looking at one or the other, and if they are the same size then you are always turning one way or the other. 

Ergonomically it is a pain in the arse, or more correctly the neck. 
    Personally I think it’s better to go for an ultra wide, or simply a larger screen size .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes Indeed. I read pdfs and fill in spreadsheets for a living so the screen my employer gave me plus laptop screen as document reader is fine, that's not something I need to worry about as it works perfectly well
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    A set of ILouds take up almost no space, and have mounting holes for mic stands, I have a pair clamped to a small desk I use for holding my MBP, which folds away when not in use.
    If the desk you are using is wide enough, it could help with not needing 'pro' monitors on stands, and they work well as stand alone BT speakers.
    Surprisingly well.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3650
    I used to have a set of those Fostex monitors which I bought to use for location recording.  I was very impressed with them considering their size and cost.

I used to one desk / monitor for office and music with a KVM switch to flick between laptop and music computer (it was labelled 'Work / Play').  I can't remember the exact details of the setup but I can recall that I could still see my email on my laptop screen whilst doing music - and that was the problem.  Being distracted by music when you were supposed to be working wasn't so much of a problem but being distracted by emails when you were having some downtime was.  I ended up having two desks.  The music was set up so that the monitors (speakers) were firing down the length of the room, for best acoustics, and the work desk was at 90 deg to the music setup.  I even had two different chairs.

This was much better although an even better solution was to retire early and not do any work (I still have the same setup so that I'm not trawling guitar forums on my music machine).
  • Thanks both, cheers for the Iloud recommendation but with needing to buy an actual computer as well that may be out of reach for now as the stuff I intend to sell will need to cover what I spend (and some spare for my piano moving).

I guess the Fostex monitor speakers are ok, they certainly sound nice and clear and good when I play spotify through them, they wouldn't be worth much to sell and the hassle of selling anything makes them basically worthless in a monetary sense, so I suppose I need to keep them for now. Maybe in future they might be dispensable

I can't have two desks - the wife will also have a desk in the same room, she works at home 3 days a week. Also my idea is to be more compact, having two desks would actually increase the amount of space my music setup takes up :) I would keep my existing crap laptop as a netbook for internet and office stuff, so my piano side hustle will be managed from that, and my day job work laptop gets shut at 17:30 each day so there's no issue with that.
  • I have just this week fitted these to the underside of a desk at home. They are the only runners I could find that have tabs for the shelf fixing instead of side screws. You can fix a small narrow board each end and use adhesive velcro to fix keyboard directly to the brackets. It pulls in and out just like a keyboard tray and takes my 61 key controller perfectly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076CSNNG8

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    octatonic said:
    I dislike using two computer screens, you are always looking at one or the other, and if they are the same size then you are always turning one way or the other. 

Personally I think it’s better to go for an ultra wide, or simply a larger screen size .
    100% agree. The only time a 2nd screen ever works for me is when I want to keep plugins open without cluttering the DAW, and honestly it doesn't happen that much. A big enough screen, you can segment windows left and right and it's better than two monitors for the same job.
  • I have just this week fitted these to the underside of a desk at home. They are the only runners I could find that have tabs for the shelf fixing instead of side screws. You can fix a small narrow board each end and use adhesive velcro to fix keyboard directly to the brackets. It pulls in and out just like a keyboard tray and takes my 61 key controller perfectly.

Ah yes I did think of that kind of thing, but i think my keyboard is too tall to fit - both in terms of the bracket itself (i'd need a few more mm than that one) and also how low down it would be, so I'd either need a really high desk, too high to type easily, or I'd bang my knees on it every time I tried to tuck in a bit. I watched a video where a guy put wood battens underneath to get enough clearance but then that would be really low down

Kind of need an inverted version of that kind of thing to house the keyboard on rails on top of the desk actually
  • Cirrus said:
    octatonic said:

100% agree. The only time a 2nd screen ever works for me is when I want to keep plugins open without cluttering the DAW, and honestly it doesn't happen that much. A big enough screen, you can segment windows left and right and it's better than two monitors for the same job.
    I've just measured my screen and it seems to be 25" diagonally, to be honest that's bigger than what I need (I have to sit a bit further away from the desk to see it as I'm long sighted). On a work basis, it's more than enough, and on a music basis - well you've heard my stuff, it's not particularly complicated and I have only ever used Cubase on a 13" laptop screen so if I can manage that, i definitely don't need a bigger screen than I have already.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8686
    Have you considered a wireless keyboard? It can be moved around easily, including leaning it against the leg of the desk to give more clear space.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • I hadn't thought of that really, as I don't have too much issue as it stands on my small child's sized desk with the computer keyboard, i just move it out the way and the cables are all tidy around the back anyway so there's no trailing wires. Worth bearing in mind if it is annoying if I ever do manage to house my keyboard on the new desk
  • I’d never heard of ILouds until this Discussion and the YouTube video below yesterday. Ron is a very prolific TV and gaming composer (SpongeBob!) and his monitor set up is a pair of ILouds. 

Sorry, very off the point. Although it’s a wonderfully spartan music room which might be inspirational! 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3650
    I have just this week fitted these to the underside of a desk at home. They are the only runners I could find that have tabs for the shelf fixing instead of side screws. You can fix a small narrow board each end and use adhesive velcro to fix keyboard directly to the brackets. It pulls in and out just like a keyboard tray and takes my 61 key controller perfectly.

Ah yes I did think of that kind of thing, but i think my keyboard is too tall to fit - both in terms of the bracket itself (i'd need a few more mm than that one) and also how low down it would be, so I'd either need a really high desk, too high to type easily, or I'd bang my knees on it every time I tried to tuck in a bit. I watched a video where a guy put wood battens underneath to get enough clearance but then that would be really low down

Kind of need an inverted version of that kind of thing to house the keyboard on rails on top of the desk actually
    I just turned a pair upside down.  I have a kitchen worksurface running the width of the room.  A pull out shelf below for my control surfaces and a keyboard shelf above;

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ^^ yeah that desktop rails is what i'm hoping will work but we shall see. Despite my weekend warrior job as a wedding pianist i do very little practice (as the music people choose is pretty simple stuff) but I'd like to be able to do better demos for people and actually get some basic technique practice in with it. Hopefully the desk can handle it - the one I was hoping to get (same as the wife's) appears to be not as wide as my current one, but deeper, so I just need to do some drawings I think to check stuff will fit

Interesting video Erictheweary, also interesting that he uses his left hand for mouse and typing and stuff which I also do, strangely, though not because of an accident. It's because the technician in the music tech rooms at 6th form was left handed and it was just easier to not have to move the mouse and stuff around afterwards.

I do like his spartan setup, very satisfying to look at. I think I'd enjoy having put something compact and all-in-one together
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    Cirrus said:
    octatonic said:

I use an iPad for that, which sits below the main display. The only plug-in I have there is a metering plugin, VisLM.
  • I think my main two concerns are:

1. Not buying another shit computer - I don't have a lot of success in this regard but I get very confused when I ask people about it
    2. The noise issues of playing guitar sat in front of a computer screen, which I would be considering where the speakers need to go. Noise gates seem to affect the sound too much, and I do play quite softly
  • bencowling81bencowling81 Frets: 420
    edited December 2022
    https://imgur.com/a/rRLmqMU

Here is my similar setup. I find a single ultra wide screen preferable to a 2 screen setup. The HX stomp is wired into input 1 and a mic cable is on hand in input 2 on the focusrite, which goes out to the monitors. The screen acts as a usb hub, with ethernet, the focusrite and the keyboard and mouse receiver plugged into the screen. That way whenever I switch from laptop (work) to Mac mini (play) all peripherals are instantly available. The Big Knob monitor controller allows me to switch from focusrite to my record player, which is on the other side of the room.
  • Here is my similar setup. I find a single ultra wide screen preferable to a 2 screen setup. The HX stomp is wired into input 1 and a mic cable is on hand in input 2 on the focusrite, which goes out to the monitors. The screen acts as a usb hub, with ethernet, the focusrite and the keyboard and mouse receiver plugged into the screen. That way whenever I switch from laptop (work) to Mac mini (play) all peripherals are instantly available. 
    Interesting thanks. How do you  get on with interference from the screens and/or computers? Are your speakers either side of your monitor?