Oil City pickup winding and repair courses

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11994
Hello chaps and chapesses - prior to the pandemic I was going to start running pickup winding courses at our workshop in the good old East End. Well now we appear to have escaped the end of the world by plague and pestilence, and we are awaiting Mr Putin's decision if it's going to end by fire and brimstone - I felt the time was right to go for these starting in the new year. 

Oil City Pickups have already completed a couple of successful trial run courses, including one with Trent University students, and I now feel ready to go fully live. 
I will be hosting one day courses which will include a pub lunch and the set of pickups that you will have wound yourself under my guidance for £400 and weekend courses starting at £750 (not including hotel accommodation - but there are loads of very reasonably priced ones around here).
The two day course will be focused even more heavily on design principals and core maker skills, to allow you to undertake many common pickup repairs with confidence.   

Please let me know if any of you are interested.

Ash  
Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 9129
    Which pickup designs could you cope with on the course? I imagine that a single coil would be OK, but a Wapping Wharf would be more of a challenge… and yes, I’m interested.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11994
    tFB Trader
    Wapping Wharf would be no issue - tapped designs are fiddly rather than hard :-)  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• If I didn’t live in another country and have two small kids I’d be all over this like a rash
    tFB Trader
    If I didn’t live in another country and have two small kids I’d be all over this like a rash
    The plan is eventually to support the courses with a full on book - which will enable those I can't teach personally to have the lid lifted on some of those juicy industry secrets :-) 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    I do like the idea but I don't have that kind of money spare in my life these days. Maybe some time in the future ....
    edited December 2022 tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    I do like the idea but I don't have that kind of money spare in my life these days. Maybe some time in the future ....
    The way we looked at it - you get a set of pickups that could have cost you over 200 and taught how to build them for another 200 :-)
    Plus as an alternative - we are going to be doing the book - which will be lifting the lid on all sorts of stuff. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    I'm up for the day thing
    tFB Trader
    Pop me an e mail on ash@ oilcitypickups.co.uk and I can let you know the booking details :-)

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1591
    I'll be up for this when I come to England next summer.  I'll drop you an email when I know my timings.  I'll probably want to do an HSS strat set, if that is OK.
    tFB Trader
    PhilKing said:
    I'll be up for this when I come to England next summer.  I'll drop you an email when I know my timings.  I'll probably want to do an HSS strat set, if that is OK.
    Yeah we can do that    :-)