Frewway Switch

What's Hot
The LP style one.

I have one fitted in my PRS SE SC, which is an ergonomic wonder. H bridge to S neck at one stroke of the switch, no switch and pull or other unhelpful combinations of tweaks to get in the way of playing the guitar.

Unfortunately, it crackles on each switch movement, at least for the first few movements of each playing session.

I have a two spare switches that I could swap in, but before I do, is this normal, are they all like this?

I'd hate to swap out for the same problem...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    I need to research whether the 3X3-03 is break before make. That would explain the clicking.

I installed one in my PRS Custom. Compared to the stock rotary pickup selector switch, the Freeway seemed quiet.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • The sound is crackling, like dirty contacts, rather than a click/break in sound. It clears after a few uses.
  • Have now swapped the switch and the problem is absent on the guitar.

I've dismantled the old switch and didn't find the wear, gunk or corrosion I was anticipating; in fact I'd say it looks shiny and new within.

Closer inspection showed something odd though.  The switch is made of copper leaves (attached to the knob) that slide over an etched PCB (attached to the wiring pads on the other side - a double sided board).  The etched material appears to have a fine wave structure on the surface.  Hard to see at first, but covers the whole thing in a fixed pattern. It can be felt with a fingernail quite clearly.  I presume this manufacturing issue (a standing wave in the etch bath?) is the cause of the switching noise.

The new switch is a year younger than the original one, so hopefully a different batch and the problem won't recur.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom