Wenge as a fretboard?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
edited December 2022 in Making & Modding
I want something really 'woody' looking as a fretboard, and it has to be dark as well. Has anyone got experience of wenge, either on a bought guitar or used it on a neck? My recollection was that I read that wenge is a pain to work with?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 9129
    Wenge is poisonous. If you get a splinter in your finger it goes septic, or so I’ve read. I had an NS-Stick with a Wenge neck. To me the grain looked too open for a fretboard. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    Yeah, it works well with a few things to watch out for.

Try to get quartersawn rather than flatsawn. Flatsawn looks prettier, but the lighter grain does wear quicker. A lot of old eko's have unevenly worn fretboards because of flatsawn wenge.

And yes, it's splinters are horrible
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
    Based on colour that you want I would recommend a nice panga panga fretboard blank.  They look very good but again be careful with splinters because its super sharp when splintered.   Ive used it on three builds and been really pleased with the results 

its pretty cheap too.  
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 947
    I have a Warmoth wenge tele neck which I love on my partscaster. Haven't ever worked with Wenge though. 
    Trading feedback - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/228538/neilybob

flanging_fed “
    A Les Paul, @ThorpyFX ;;Veteran and the 4010 is awesome at volume, it’s like playing Thor’s hammer!” Ref Marshall JCM800 4010 combo 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    tFB Trader
    I've used wenge and really liked it, just don't get splinters they're nasty, once it's finished no problems at all.

Think I'll be doing a 3 piece wenge neck on something next year.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30210
    I've done Wenge fretboards. They're fine. Ziricote is easier to work with, but they're different sorts of pretty. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Danielsguitars said:
    I've used wenge and really liked it, just don't get splinters they're nasty, once it's finished no problems at all.

I did a junior style with solid wenge neck and english ash body.  It ended up rather heavy and quite bright, but a lot of fun once i found a pickup that suited up
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    Danielsguitars said:

I did a junior style with solid wenge neck and english ash body.  It ended up rather heavy and quite bright, but a lot of fun once i found a pickup that suited up
    I'm planning on a lightweight body blank with 3 single coils.

Was the neck really heavy or mostly the Ash as I know that's bloody heavy, I'm building an English ash LP but fully chambered.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    Most of the weight was in the body, even with it thinned down a bit... but a solid wenge neck was still pretty heavy. 
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    Most of the weight was in the body, even with it thinned down a bit... but a solid wenge neck was still pretty heavy. 
    Thanks for that, might try a different laminated neck then.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • xGizmoxGizmo Frets: 1118
    As other's have said i can get a bit splinter'y and those splinters are nasty if they go in...

I used Wenge on the Neck and FB of my last build (a headless Vader clone)

It does like to move (a lot) so i added some Carbon strips, Doesn't need any finish if you polish/sand it up 800/1000
    It's also UV reactive and will darken quite a lot, freashly cut/exposed it's a light grey...Slotting this on the CNC was a PITA i think i broke about x10 0.6mm bit's, next time i use it i'll stick with the saw/slot box.

I have a nice 10mm thick wavy QS piece which is ideal for a few fretboards, I can grab some pic's of it if you like?

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Gizmo said:
    As other's have said i can get a bit splinter'y and those splinters are nasty if they go in...

I used Wenge on the Neck and FB of my last build (a headless Vader clone)

It does like to move (a lot) so i added some Carbon strips, Doesn't need any finish if you polish/sand it up 800/1000
    It's also UV reactive and will darken quite a lot, freashly cut/exposed it's a light grey...Slotting this on the CNC was a PITA i think i broke about x10 0.6mm bit's, next time i use it i'll stick with the saw/slot box.

I have a nice 10mm thick wavy QS piece which is ideal for a few fretboards, I can grab some pic's of it if you like?

That looks superb! So are you selling fretboard size pieces?
  • xGizmoxGizmo Frets: 1118
    axisus said:

That looks superb! So are you selling fretboard size pieces?

Thx,this neck also has some Inset block LED's that work really well either on or off, i was pretty happy with the build but there are still a few things left to tweak on it.....as always ;P

& yep I have one FB Sized Wenge blank left i was keeping it for a headless bass but im not that keen on working this stuff so yep it's up for sale if your interested.

It's 78mmx900x10 so plenty big enough, i'll fire you some pic's once i get home later on as my workshop wifi is a bit crap for uploading....also totally forgot about it but id also made a 25.5" 22 fret slotted 57mmx43mmx6mm 20" radius'ed board from another piece, i recall this was for a Strat project that got shelved when i got the NJ strat last year....I'll upload you a few pic's of that also might save you some work ;)

Cheers
    Gizmo
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25567
    Warwick bass necks and boards used to be 100% wenge.

Very nice they are too.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd