SPDT Soft Footswitch help

I'm replacing the switches in the Marshall DSL20 footswitch, mostly because it changes channel on its own only when the footswitch is connected. I'm also going to fit them in a small box (1590b sized) so I need some SPDT switches , I'd prefer them to be soft type (bit like the T-Rex or TC Electronic feel) rather than the big clunky loud click. I've tried the usual suspects, RS,Farnell and Mouser and I'm struggling to find SPDT nevermind soft button type. Anybody know where to get them ? Or can I use a 3PDT (like the Gorva ones) and just use 3 terminals? I can follow instructions and solder without problem but the intricacies puzzle me sometimes
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    Just use the DPDT and either ignore the extra lugs or parallel them up for redundancy. 

I hope it is just the footswitch that's faulty ... I haven't seen a DSL 20 for repair but the circuit that switches the bigger DSL's is more complicated than a regular Marshall switching system.  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 474
    I hope so too, without the footswitch connected it doesn’t do it ( so far anyway)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30210
    Might be worth checking if it needs momentary footswitches rather than latching. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    I’ll pop the box open and double check everything, plus I’ll be checking that the amp isn’t doing it on its own. I bought it used from Andertons a week ago so I’ll contact them as well
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    It's most likely to be the cable which is faulty, in which case you can just reuse the existing switches in the new box.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I figured that’d be best but as the amp (although used) is under warranty I don’t want to replace the cable until I’m sure it’s definitely that, so I thought I’d build a new switch.
    Sporky said:
    Might be worth checking if it needs momentary footswitches rather than latching. 
    this is going to seem like a daft question but how do I tell if its latching or momentary? The current ones have a solid click
    and they have big L's on them so latched im guessing  =)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30210
    Probably latching then - don't mind me. Do you have a multimeter? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    edited January 2023
    It's latching according to this -

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Marshall-PEDL-90012-2-Way-Latching-Footswitch/2TUF

I wasn't completely certain since I hadn't seen one before, but if this is the one you have it's identical to all the other 2-button/LED footswitches Marshall use (with different labels) and is definitely latching.

If you've got it apart and can solder, you can easily test whether it's the switch or the cable which is faulty - swap the connections to the switches inside the pedal. If it stops it's the switch, and if it still misbehaves it's the cable, since it would be highly unlikely that both switches would be faulty in the same way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Sporky said:
    Probably latching then - don't mind me. Do you have a multimeter? 
    I do but its in work, i'll go grab it tomorrow.
    ICBM said:
    It's latching according to this -

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Marshall-PEDL-90012-2-Way-Latching-Footswitch/2TUF

I wasn't completely certain since I hadn't seen one before, but if this is the one you have it's identical to all the other 2-button/LED footswitches Marshall use (with different labels) and is definitely latching.

If you've got it apart and can solder, you can easily test whether it's the switch or the cable which is faulty - swap the connections to the switches inside the pedal. If it stops it's the switch, and if it still misbehaves it's the cable, since it would be highly unlikely that both switches would be faulty in the same way.
    good idea, i'll grab my soldering kit when i'm there and swap it and see. The amp has been on most of the day today without the switch connected and hasn't auto switched at all.
    The switch is bloody huge though so I'll still make it into a smaller box I think