Nootropics

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2250
    It is quite ironic that on a guitar forum where most people believe a Klon pedal has magic resistors in it that makes it “sound and feel better” than an identically made Klone, are then so cynical about anecdotal evidence about a food supplement. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Barnezy said:
    It is quite ironic that on a guitar forum where most people believe a Klon pedal has magic resistors in it that makes it “sound and feel better” than an identically made Klone, are then so cynical about anecdotal evidence about a food supplement. 

I don't think I fall into that category of user...

I've had a look for peer reviewed research but cannot find any - not saying it doesn't work, but lions mane are very beautiful and delicious so recommend growing your own. 
  • marxskimarxski Frets: 269
    Aren’t supplements generally expensive wee?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30114
    edited January 2023
    Barnezy said:
    on a guitar forum where most people believe a Klon pedal has magic resistors in it that makes it “sound and feel better” than an identically made Klone
    I'm not sure that's true. Nor that - if it was - there'd be much correlation between that group and those who are skeptical of the noonoo claims. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18300
    tFB Trader
    Barnezy said:

I agree with Tim Minchin

"Do you know what they call alternative medicine that's been proven to work?....

Medicine"

There are always loads of supplement that supposedly have positive effects but I'm not really aware of any that have lived up to the hype for a long time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2250
    Firstly, who is going to fund research in to the benefits of a food, that a corporate entity can’t patient? 

I think people put too much faith in pharmaceutical companies, whose objective is to make profit, to tell us what’s good or not good for us, through their funded research. 

It’s starting to become clear that certain mushrooms can cure, not just treat, PTSD. Many knew this decades ago, but no funding was given to research….. and the pharma’s have made billions in the meantime, selling chemical compounds they can patient instead.

I’m the first to question these things, but am open minded enough to explore if the claimed benefits are true as well. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30114
    Compass Pathways have been patenting compounds derived from mushrooms for psychological treatment. With some controversy along the way.

https://psychedelicspotlight.com/compass-pathways-sued-for-stealing-trade-secrets/
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10930
    Barnezy said:
    Other one I was interested in is modafinil but I’ve heard it can impact you sleep. It’s basically an awake drug. 
    It's for narcolepsy. It's alright. I taught myself python in two days on it recently. There are better drugs for concentration though. Good drinking stamina if that's your thing (it's increasingly not mine)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18300
    tFB Trader
    Barnezy said:
    Firstly, who is going to fund research in to the benefits of a food, that a corporate entity can’t patient? 

The food supplements industry and universities to name two

Loads of trials have been done into antioxidants and fish oil they just don't give the results people want. In the case of antioxidants the trial was stopped as it was making people's cancer worse.

The history of the supliments industry is always about some new wonder compound that looks promising but "more research is needed" when the research is done it turns out it was overhyped and they move on to the next thing.
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 780
    roberty said:
    Barnezy said:
    Other one I was interested in is modafinil but I’ve heard it can impact you sleep. It’s basically an awake drug. 
    It's for narcolepsy. It's alright. I taught myself python in two days on it recently.
    Nice one. If you ever need a second pair of eyes on any python stuff, I'd be happy to lend a hand.
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here