Ren - the future of music?

What's Hot

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6515
    It's all gone a bit Pete Tong. :(

One of Ren's biggest songs, Sick Boi, has been taken down by a beat-making producer. The back story is that the producer had uploaded his beat to a legit licence-managing/sharing site, and Ren bought it for $99. Turns out the producer had stolen one of the samples used in the beat and got found out. His reaction - issue a copyright claim against Ren as an attempt to gouge more $$$$s. Having seen Ren's music blow up out of nowhere, he's miffed.

(Impressed by the many lengths Ren went to to try to settle matters.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 422
    edited September 3
    goldtop said:
    It's all gone a bit Pete Tong.

One of Ren's biggest songs, Sick Boi, has been taken down by a beat-making producer. The back story is that the producer had uploaded his beat to a legit licence-managing/sharing site, and Ren bought it for $99. Turns out the producer had stolen one of the samples used in the beat and got found out. His reaction - issue a copyright claim against Ren as an attempt to gouge more $$$$s. Having seen Ren's music blow up out of nowhere, he's miffed.
    Kujo? Who the f**k Is Kujo?

BTW, the video is still up on the internet if anybody wants to have a listen  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
      A top entertainment attorney comments on the recent events that have shocked the music world ... :o

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10359
    Vintage65 said:
      A top entertainment attorney comments on the recent events that have shocked the music world ... :o

Trying to recreate the famous Edvard Munch painting in the video thumbnail as well
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 7
    Ren strikes back and Kujo gets both barrels!

• dindudedindude Frets: 8623
    It’s brilliant. That REN can write, produce and make this vid in such a short space of time is pretty impressive. 
    dindude said:
    It’s brilliant. That REN can write, produce and make this vid in such a short space of time is pretty impressive.
    Ren - the future of online drama?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1430
    I've just watched the video explaining the situation and it's quite unbelievable and sickening how far Kujo went with his extortion attempt.  It probably seemed like a good idea at the time and I have to say I almost admire his persistence.  I can't imagine being offered such a huge launchpad for his own career and then turning it down, so I can only assume he had an incredibly stupid and greedy lawyer advising him.  You can see him unravelling towards the end - he knows it's over, and the parting "Your music sucks btw" makes that clear.

Ren is quite incredible.  'Hi Ren' made me cry, and his response to this saga is equally as powerful. 
    Bod said:
    I've just watched the video explaining the situation and it's quite unbelievable and sickening how far Kujo went with his extortion attempt.  It probably seemed like a good idea at the time and I have to say I almost admire his persistence.  I can't imagine being offered such a huge launchpad for his own career and then turning it down, so I can only assume he had an incredibly stupid and greedy lawyer advising him.  You can see him unravelling towards the end - he knows it's over, and the parting "Your music sucks btw" makes that clear.

Ren is quite incredible.  'Hi Ren' made me cry, and his response to this saga is equally as powerful. 
    I wonder if Kujo is still on 15% for the part he is playing in all of this?
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 1135
    I have to admit, it's starting to lose it's appeal a bit for me now.

It's cool how he orchestrates the music around the lyrics to emphasis and add power to them, but I think if you removed the music you'd  basically be left with a quite clever and interesting but ultimately depressing slam poet.

• PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 1409
    And this is the problem with the music business…it’s a business!
       Whether it be music, sport, art, politics, etc, the greedy arseholes get in, exploit, capitalise and ultimately wreck its original sentiment and beauty.
       But here is another reason why Ren is ‘up there’, he’s challenging this bullshit…at least from what I can see.
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Vintage65 said:
    Bod said:

I wonder if Kujo is still on 15% for the part he is playing in all of this?
    Well, the track's been pulled from all DSPs, so he's cut off whatever he had.  It won't be available in its previous form now, at least until it's settled legally.
  • Feel for the guy yet I still can’t stomach his “music”
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 740
    Everything would be simpler if beats were not commodities.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7399
    Just had a listen as he was mentioned on Justin Hawkins youtube show. Seems very similar to what Eminem was doing 20 years ago with a more Drama school style visuals. 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Feel for the guy yet I still can’t stomach his “music”
    Don't feel too bad, he's going to redo the song with his own beats and then resell it to his millions of online followers, so just think of it as a publicity campaign of sorts.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10359
    Kurtis said:

It's cool how he orchestrates the music around the lyrics to emphasis and add power to them, but I think if you removed the music you'd  basically be left with a quite clever and interesting but ultimately depressing slam poet.

I suppose most music is like that, in fact a fair chunk of it doesn't even qualify as that interesting if you take away the music element 
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    edited September 8
    Feel for the guy yet I still can’t stomach his “music”
    It's definitely music so there's no need for the quotes. Respect the art whether you like it or not.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 1135
    edited September 8
    Kurtis said:

I suppose most music is like that, in fact a fair chunk of it doesn't even qualify as that interesting if you take away the music element 
    It's more his delivery, vocal style, I mean though.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1271
    First time I heard Ren's own music, I thought that it was more slam poetry with music.

However he is a fantastic performer, and I love his street performances and covers.