string spacing strat

What's Hot
tabanotabano Frets: 100
Hi all!,
I am looking into getting a hardtail S type body on a budget ( or whole guitar) but standard sting spacing is generally 56mm and I like it narrower,
so my question is, is it possible to fit a modern 52.5mm string spacing hardtail bridge on a pre-drilled 56 string spacing guitar body?
BTW if you know of any SSS hardtail, 22 fret guitar under £450  please let me know!
many thanks in advance!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've put Callaham 56.4mm wide screw spacing with 52.4mm (2 1/16") narrow string spacing (tremolos) on two strats and a narrow hipshot bridge on a 1970s hardtail with no problems.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73165
    If the body is drilled for the string holes then they won't line up - the G and D will be OK, the A and B might just about work but the Es will be about 2mm off. You could open them out under the bridge to allow enough clearance, but then getting the strings to go through the holes in the bridge might prove tricky.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tabanotabano Frets: 100
    ICBM said:
    If the body is drilled for the string holes then they won't line up - the G and D will be OK, the A and B might just about work but the Es will be about 2mm off. You could open them out under the bridge to allow enough clearance, but then getting the strings to go through the holes in the bridge might prove tricky.
    Thanks for this,
    the body is indeed drilled for the strings and what you say is what I was fearing,
    so widening the 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th will allow the strings to run through with no problem in your view?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14832
    edited January 2023
    Callaham makes Stratocaster vibratos in assorted width combinations. One of these is a hybrid baseplate with its pivot screw holes at vintage/Imperial spacing but its saddles and string holes at "import"/Metric spacing. (Ideal for MIJ/CIJ guitars.)

I'm not sure whether they offer the same hybrid spacing options for hardtail.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73165
    tabano said:

Thanks for this,
    the body is indeed drilled for the strings and what you say is what I was fearing,
    so widening the 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th will allow the strings to run through with no problem in your view?
    Not no problem - it will work, but restringing will be tricky.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    tabano said:

Thanks for this,
    Not no problem - it will work, but restringing will be tricky.
    Ok great!
    thanks,
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9858
    Surely part of the reason that so few hardtail Strats are available is that it is easy enough to deck or block the trem and effectively hardtail the instrument yourself.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    edited January 2023
    HAL9000 said:
    Surely part of the reason that so few hardtail Strats are available is that it is easy enough to deck or block the trem and effectively hardtail the instrument yourself.
    Makes sense, although with no intention to create debate, I have to say that a solid body hardtail strat does not sound, or should I say react like a blocked or decked tremolo strat,imho,

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11774
    tFB Trader
    Callaham makes Stratocaster vibratos in assorted width combinations. One of these is a hybrid baseplate with its pivot screw holes at vintage/Imperial spacing but its saddles and string holes at "import"/Metric spacing. (Ideal for MIJ/CIJ guitars.)

I'm not sure whether they offer the same hybrid spacing options for hardtail.
    Like our FatCat "Double Whammy" bridge that also gives you the rather fab Highwood saddles 

I appreciate that doesn't help the OP with his hardtail strat

Surely some hardtail "import" models have 10.5mm spacing (52.5mm E to e)?

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• If you can find a hard tail bridge with 54mm spacing you may well get away with it better than a 52.5mm bridge, and you will have a narrower string spacing with the outer strings not too close to the fingerboard edge.

Another thought. I think the Fender Noventa Strats had a narrower spaced bridge. Perhaps someone on the forum could confirm? Anyway, 5 mins with a router and you'd have a nice swimming pool rout which could take any pickguard/ pickup combination you like. Just a thought.
    Many thanks to all for the input,
    Although I thought it was going to be easy, it is proving a bit tricky to find a hardtail S style with narrow 52.5 string spacing and 22 frets, let alone under £500...
    I might have to go the par caster route it seems..
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 642
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9858
    Pacifica PAC 311H - S-type, hardtail, narrow string spacing, and swimming pool rout so could be made SSS. Used probably under £200. Oh, also has Graphtech nut, and Grover locking tuners.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    Jeremiah said:
    Good point..
    I didn’t think about this 
    is there any sound change to be expected you reckon when compared to a thru body?
    HAL9000 said:
    Pacifica PAC 311H - S-type, hardtail, narrow string spacing, and swimming pool rout so could be made SSS. Used probably under £200. Oh, also has Graphtech nut, and Grover locking tuners.
    Ok thanks!
    Although not a strat body clone a candidate for sure, I did not know that they have a swimming pool under the pick guard,
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2960
    edited January 2023
    I've recently built a parts hardtail strat with the narrower string spacing, 10.5mm iirc. I just got my body used off eBay but I think the hardtail bodies from Northwest Guitars have the same spacing, that's where I got my bridge from. No idea where mine came from originally but clearly they're out there somewhere!

Hardtails are way better imo. Rock solid tuning and no annoying spring noise, looks cleaner. But I'm biased as I find trems completely useless

Coincidentally I might be putting mine up for sale soon, I've done a gig with it and decided I'd rather be playing my Gibson. Give me a message if you're interested, its nothing high end but the neck feels great and it sounds good too. 
    TTBZ said:
    I've recently built a parts hardtail strat with the narrower string spacing, 10.5mm iirc. I just got my body used off eBay but I think the hardtail bodies from Northwest Guitars have the same spacing, that's where I got my bridge from. No idea where mine came from originally but clearly they're out there somewhere!

Hardtails are way better imo. Rock solid tuning and no annoying spring noise, looks cleaner. But I'm biased as I find trems completely useless

Coincidentally I might be putting mine up for sale soon, I've done a gig with it and decided I'd rather be playing my Gibson. Give me a message if you're interested, its nothing high end but the neck feels great and it sounds good too. 
    Hey thanks for the input,
    I looked at those Northwest bodies and unfortunately they are drilled for a 56 mm bridge,
    let me know about your guitar if you decide letting it go yes, I haven’t pulled the trigger on anything yet,