Les Paul Special kit?

What's Hot
I've had a hankering for a Les Paul Special for years (the one with P90's), mostly because I love the tone people like Steve Hunter and Johnny Thunders used to get from them. However, every time I try one I'm always put off by the baseball-bat style 50's neck profile. Even the Eastman SB55 has the same issue. So I had a thought: why not build one myself? I have built plenty of Fender type guitars over the years, but I've never done a set-neck before, and I've never had to cut my own fret slots - I would usually buy a neck for a build, and then do all the routing and body cutting myself (I have a workshop). So my next thought was: is it possible to get a kit? After a bit of googling, it wasn't hard to find one, but the quality always looks very dodgy to me. Most people selling such kits seem to assume that everyone wants something that is cheap, cheap, cheap - but that's not what I'm looking for. Does anyone have any recommendations? Ideally for a good quality body blank, and a decent neck to fit it. Everything else, I can do myself.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14832
    zedhex said:
    … I love the tone people like Steve Hunter and Johnny Thunders used to get from them … baseball-bat style 50's neck profile.
    These two things might be connected. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3112
    Id ask Graham @GSPBASSES if he could make me one..

I had a hankering for a Melody Maker (ish) LP and he made me this, its superb

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28088
    I’d normally ask Graham too, though not sure if he’s spending much time in his workshop at the moment.

I’ve got a couple if his LPJrs, and they are just brilliant.

If you just want a neck, there are others here who might make one for you.

This is a brilliant fret slot cutting jig
    https://www.bagpress.com/Guitar_Making_Products.html
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2357
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    I’d normally ask Graham too, though not sure if he’s spending much time in his workshop at the moment.

I’ve got a couple if his LPJrs, and they are just brilliant.

If you just want a neck, there are others here who might make one for you.

This is a brilliant fret slot cutting jig
    https://www.bagpress.com/Guitar_Making_Products.html
    I'm not sure when I'm going to be back in the workshop if ever. I'm going to wait a couple weeks to see what the doctors have to say before I take a decision. What I would say is, I have a lot of part built LPJ's on the shelf so if I do decide to go back in there will be some coming up for sale. But if you're in a hurry I would look elsewhere.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• Not sure if this is something that he would normally do but if you want quality then Darren @Danielsguitars is your man
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3310
    tFB Trader
    Not sure if this is something that he would normally do but if you want quality then Darren @Danielsguitars is your man
    Thanks for the mention, kits are always a tricky one for me as I don't build like that really, I string everything up and tweak a neck to final profile so I see how it feels to play.

Another point is if you want something more vintage based, then I'd go Spanish cedar Madagascan rosewood, vintage style truss rod and hot hide glue.

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)