SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

No longer available: (choice of 2) Patrick James Eggle Guitars - Macon or 96...

What's Hot
RevMattRevMatt Frets: 864
edited February 2023 in Guitars £

This thread started out offering 1 Patrick Eggle Berlin, but has evolved signficantly. To avoid confusion, here's what's left... a choice of one of two Patrick James Eggles offered for sale (only to fund another PJE):

• Withdrawn - PJE 96 2018 NAMM - £2200
  • Sold - PJE Macon Jnr 2021 - £2400 now £2350
Trades? I have some cash to add if you have a Macon carved top, but otherwise no trades.

Full details appear on the 2nd page of this thread so please trawl through 'til you get there!

SOLD - Patrick Eggle Berlin Standard - 1992

Background

If you’ve been keeping an eye on Patrick Eggle guitars in recent years you’ll know that prices seem to have gone all over the place, perhaps affected by the success of Patrick James Eggle’s newer models alongside Covid and other market factors.

So here’s a rare chance to get a very early example of Patrick’s flagship Berlin model at a very sensible price.

About the guitar...

In the very early days of Patrick Eggle Guitars 1991-1992) there were just 3 variants of the Berlin available – the differences between the models were subtle and most simply summarised as:

• Berlin Standard – opaque finished and hardtail bridge
  • Berlin – translucent finishes with hardtail bridge
  • Berlin Pro – translucent finishes with locking tuners, trem and 3 way rotary switch

There was also another unique feature for this period which was the absence of a volute behind the nut – it’s alleged that the first models had hand carved necks and carving in a volute was labour intensive so this was added once necks moved to CNC carving – I can’t confirm the truth of this, and it may remain one of the lovely myths of a small guitar maker.

This is a 1992 model of the Berlin Standard, and apart from the model variations above, the rest of the spec is standard for the Berlin of that era:

• Body: mahogany with a maple top (although not visible under the opaque cream / ivory finish
  • Neck: mahogany set neck with ebony fretboard and 24 low/wide frets
  • Hardware: Sperzel (non-locking) tuners, and Gotoh 2 piece bridge
  • Electronics: twin Kent Armstrong humbuckers with a single volume and tone control with a 3 way toggle switch (no coil split option)

These guitars are wonderfully made with a beautiful ergonomic design which along with the 25” scale length and lovely slim C neck carve makes them very easy and comfortable to play.

Tonally it’s relatively versatile with quite a hot sound from the humbuckers (with everything on 10) but roll back the volume or tone and you can get thinner or warmer tones. It’s handles rock and higher gain settings with ease, but with the tone knocked back a tad you can get a range of nice bluesier or jazzier voices that work well with clean settings. It plays and holds its tuning very well.

This particular example is all original with no modifications.

Condition

This guitar is a fantastic example of an instrument which has been very well looked after, but equally well used – as it should be. What I mean by that, is that there is plenty of evidence of use but in a cared for and not abused or neglected way. As such, there are very few dings (a small one on the upper edge of the body, a couple of marks on the back of the neck and also headstock) but there is natural wear and aging as follows:

Body – the creamy / ivory finish to the body has lost its glossy shine and now has a more matt and subdued feel with some wear, discolouration and surface marks to the front and back

Neck – like the body, the once glossy finish to the neck has worn to a more matt feel and there are a few little dings to the back of the neck. The frets have some notches of wear in the usual areas, but I have given these a light re-dress and polish and they play very well with a nice shiny finish. The truss rod works and the neck is straight.

Hardware and electronics – all the hardware is in good working order as are the pickups and pots/switches, although the tone knob itself appears to have a bit of a crack inside (only cosmetic)

Case – the guitar comes with the original TKL made rectangle case that Eggle used prior to Hiscox – this is in well used condition, still perfectly functional but has a split at one end and some damage to the feet.

Price: £675 £650 £625 can be posted at buyer's expense and risk - Parcelforce 24 for about £14)

Lots of pictures to enjoy!

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28245
    RevMatt said:

There was also another unique feature for this period which was the absence of a volute behind the nut – it’s alleged that the first models had hand carved necks and carving in a volute was labour intensive so this was added once necks moved to CNC carving – I can’t confirm the truth of this, and it may remain one of the lovely myths of a small guitar maker.

I'm pretty sure that the early necks were hand-carved - I know one of the guys that carved them  ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wizbit81wizbit81 Frets: 476
    Lovely guitar! The price of them is up btw because one single guy bought up the entire market and started listing them at about 80% markup. He's been at it years, and now other people follow as that's the only price they see when researching.
  • RevMattRevMatt Frets: 864
    edited January 2023
    wizbit81 said:
    Lovely guitar! The price of them is up btw because one single guy bought up the entire market and started listing them at about 80% markup. He's been at it years, and now other people follow as that's the only price they see when researching.
    Otherwise referred to in my ad as "other market factors"  =) 

TTony said:

I'm pretty sure that the early necks were hand-carved - I know one of the guys that carved them 

Thanks - I certainly believe this to be true, but it was how the whole volute background hangs together that I didn't want to be too absolute about.

• moz91moz91 Frets: 38
    Very nice!!
  • ParkerParker Frets: 961
    wizbit81 said:
    Yep. It's a free market, but it does annoy me that one person has had that impact. I genuinely enquired about one he has because its a spit of one I bought from the Factory Direct era. He said 'not open to any offers. Worth every penny!!' He want 1300GBP and its a standard Berlin Pro. Going rate 2-3 years ago would have been 800 tops. I actually feel bad for those who have bought from him at full price and the market now seems to be dropping again. 
    I was being discreet in my 'other market factors' comment to avoid this turning into a debate about certain inflated online sellers, but that cat is out of the bag now. I suggest we park that particular debate so this thread can remain a for sale thread with no further comment needed on that matter :-) 

What that leaves us with is... a corker of a guitar from a coveted period for a fair price price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 781
    Matt, why the fuck are you doing this to me right after I bought a Carvin?
    Moloch said:
    Matt, why the fuck are you doing this to me right after I bought a Carvin?
    Haha, so sorry, but, it's not a lot of money and you deserve a treat, and I seem to remember owing you one for helping my son out many years ago...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wizbit81wizbit81 Frets: 476
    RevMatt said:
    I was being discreet in my 'other market factors' comment to avoid this turning into a debate about certain inflated online sellers, but that cat is out of the bag now. I suggest we park that particular debate so this thread can remain a for sale thread with no further comment needed on that matter :-) 

What that leaves us with is... a corker of a guitar from a coveted period for a fair price price.
    Sorry!

Bump for what looks a lovely guitar with the build quality and look of a 90's UK version of a PRS.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    wizbit81 said:

Sorry!
    No need to apologise and thanks for the bump!
    edited January 2023
    SOLD - SOLD

So, as per the updated first post, here's the second of the 2 Berlins available - I'll spare you much of the earlier background which is the same for both guitars and get right on with the details:

About the guitar...

This is a 1993 model of the Berlin Pro, with the following spec:

• Body: mahogany with a stunning maple top
    • Neck: mahogany set neck with ebony fretboard and 24 low/wide frets
    • Hardware: Sperzel locking tuners, and Wilkinson VS100cv trem
    • Electronics: upgraded Seymour Duncan humbuckers (Jazz/JB) with a single volume and a 3 way rotary coil split selector and then the usual 3 way toggle switch (no tone control)
    • Includes the original Hiscox / Eggle hard case

These guitars are wonderfully made with a beautiful ergonomic design which along with the 25” scale length and lovely slim C neck carve makes them very easy and comfortable to play.

I've given the guitar a full set up and everything plays and functions perfectly - even that notoriously difficult to set up trem is absolutely spot on and floats when the arm is lifted and locks when the arm is lowered.

Condition

This guitar comes set up and ready to use, but does have some signs of age. As the pictures (hopefully) show, there are lots of little marks and dings around the edges (and a few little blemishes to the surface) of the body. Similarly, the neck has a few little marks to the back, although the frets are great with minimal wear.

The truss rod cover is cracked so has been replaced with one I've made (original included).

The hardware and electronics all function as they should.

Case – the guitar comes with the original Hiscox case – this has some evidence of use but is still in great condition

Price: £850 £825 can be posted at buyer's expense and risk - Parcelforce 24 for about £14)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    That ivory one is a bargain! 
  • Sevenof9Sevenof9 Frets: 192
    Agreed @Strangefan - I think they’re both tremendous value and from a first class seller too
    Got to love Fretboard…..
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1701
    edited January 2023
    That ivory one is a bargain! 
    So is the flamed maple one with the Ebony fretboard - seriously.

I bought a Berlin Pro for not much less than that a couple of years ago before the whole Covid era inflation kicked in. (Matt and others on here have always been very helpful and kind in terms of giving me advice and guidance on the breed - thanks Matt - but that's as an aside.). The feeling of quality you get when you pick up one of these early Eggles, is nothing like what you get off almost any mass-produced stuff fetching that or a helluva lot more on the used market.

Am I biased - hell yes. But if you get the chance sometime, try one and see.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2023
    Thanks @AK99 for your kind words.

I've spent a lot of time with these two guitars in the last couple of days and really am struggling with the decision of which one to sell - I bought them as a pair with the intention of selling one, but am now wondering if I should keep both and sell one of my Patrick James Eggle 96 models instead!!!

In summary:
    The Berlin Standard (white one) has a more straight forward rock n roll approach with a slightly more vintage voice from the pickups - not quite as hot and a little less bright
    The Berlin Pro (cherryburst) has all the bells and whistles and a bigger/brighter sound with a lot of versatility from the SD pickups and judicious use of the volume control

For now, these remain available but my head is a mess :-) 

For those interested here's the PJE 96 - this was his NAMM exhibition model and features in one of Peach Guitars' videos from NAMM (2018 iirc) - price would be £2200:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2102
    I’m really tempted to own 2 Berlin Pro….having bought one in the pandemic I was totally surpassed how good it was,…even up against my PRS 513.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Both those Berlins look fantastic. The white one speaks to me but alas I'm over-guitared and under-funded at present! 

GLWTS, if there's any sense left in the world they won't hang about at those prices. 

GLWTS, if there's any sense left in the world they won't hang about at those prices. 
    That's what I thought and yet... they're still here.

So:
    £650 for the Berlin Standard (ivory)
    £825 for the Berlin Pro (burst)
    Now both on ebay, although would prefer to sell one here (the other will be kept)
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1574
    That '96. Oh my...