Prices on Baja Telecasters

What's Hot
DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3304
Ever since I sold my '52 Reissue I've hankered after one of these as a cheaper alternative and never got round to it. The prices totally fox me though, when I first looked at them they were £349 brand new, now you can't get them used for that. The few I've played were cool but are they really worth nearly double now (new) in 5 years?

Maybe I'm a scrooge.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I thought they went for £350-£400 used.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • £600+ for a new one and about £350 is about average for a used one. There's been a fair few bought and sold on the old forum, myself included. They're really good value for money and there's some great tones to be had out of the S1 switching. But they can be on the heavy side for a telecaster.
  • They're ok.. But for that 2nd hand value there is plenty of competition. Levinson blades go for that and IMO they are far far better guitars.
  •    A few years ago I tried a baja and a highway one and i've never regretted plumping for the latter.
     Nitro & basic p.u. switching helped sway the choice.
       Mind you,people ask silly money for both these days...
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3304
    I just can't justify the new pricing when I sold my '52 for £700. I also like the sound of the Highway One thick necks if I'm right? 
  •   Yeah, deffo chunkyish, but not 50's,I think(not too up on me neck profiles)
  • The Mexican prices do seem to have gone up. I've got a 72 Custom, cost me £650, they used to be a fair bit less and and they're even more now. Good guitar though. I've played a baja, I think they are worth the money but there's plenty 2nd hand do that's what I'd get.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I bought a 72 mexican custom about 10 years ago. Always regretted selling it. 
  • Deijavoo said:
    I just can't justify the new pricing when I sold my '52 for £700. I also like the sound of the Highway One thick necks if I'm right? 

Its all relative as the price for a '52 will have gone up too. Your right though, the CP series were a bargain when they came out but - have almost doubled in price, along with the Squier Classic Vibes which started around £179 but are now £300+ its crazy how in a global downturn the prices of new guitars has risen, i bought a new Gibson LP standard in 2005 for £1300 a standard is now nearer £2000 new!

Yeah I paid £999 for my Les Paul Classic. Sold it for £1350 not more than 7 years later so I'm actually a total hypocrite.  ha ha  
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18207
    tFB Trader
    I bought a US G&L for £500 you won't find a bigger bargain than that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    You are fond of that guitar hey?  I must try one. 
    tFB Trader
    G&L are approaching US Custom shop quality IMO and they go secondhand for stupid prices. 
    Which model was it you went for again? 
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    I have a Baja and it is a pretty decent guitar in my view.  Mine has got that lovely tele "quack" to it.

They do vary in weight quite considerably - one I tried was very heavy indeed - so the "try before you buy" adage is very applicable I think
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    tFB Trader
    Deijavoo said:
    Which model was it you went for again? 
    I've got an ASAT Special. 

Was at Gearfest East yesterday. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Delicious that mate. 
  • You might want to try keeping an eye out for the 'Lite Ash' telecaster too - these come up second hand every now and then and are just lovely.  The neck, to me, feels fairly similar if slightly less chunky but has the added bonus of lots of birdseye maple.

Tasty!
    tFB Trader
    Funnily enough I was playing @ESBlonde Lite Ash yesterday. Twas very nice. 
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited September 2013
    siremoon said:
    I have a Baja and it is a pretty decent guitar in my view.  Mine has got that lovely tele "quack" to it.

They do vary in weight quite considerably - one I tried was very heavy indeed - so the "try before you buy" adage is very applicable I think
    The 1/2lb of lacquer on mine was quite impressive:

The whole thing is 7lbs dead on now.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom