SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

wtb Gretsch G6120T-BSSMK Brian Setzer Signature Nashville 59 - 'Smoke'

What's Hot
Long shot, but on the lookout for one of these - have a Memphis es-330 as possible trade (other gear p/x also)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2448
    edited January 2023
    As you've probably found, Smokes rarely turn up new and I've never seen a used one for sale in the UK. I bought one new from GAK a few months ago, had it for two or three weeks but didn't take to it so I returned it. It was sold again the very next day.

Good luck with your search.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • peanutspeanuts Frets: 179
    Thanks! What put you off 'Smoke' ? tbf Gretsch are quite 'Marmite'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • melodmelod Frets: 136
    Jimbro66 said:
    As you've probably found, Smokes rarely turn up new and I've never seen a used one for sale in the UK. I bought one new from GAK a few months ago, had it for two or three weeks but didn't take to it so I returned it. It was sold again the very next day.

Good luck with your search.
    Almost pulled the trigger on that one and had figured out it was a return (around November I think).

Interested in your review on it too 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2448
    peanuts said:
    I love Gretsch guitars. I have three at present and have had others over the years, all Prolines except one original ‘57 Duo Jet. The Smoke had many glowing reviews so I waited patiently for months for one to appear in the U.K. I even looked at going over to Normandy to try one at a guitar store in St Lo but then the one at GAK showed up and I bought it immediately.

They are beautifully made and look the business although it had a few minor QC issues that I wouldn’t expect in a guitar of that price. Nevertheless, I set it up and played it for a couple of weeks but concluded that I didn’t like the Ray Butts pickups. My other Gretsches have had Dynasonics/T-Armonds and TVJ Classics. Some folk would love the Butts but I guess I’m more of a Dynasonic guy. I also really dislike the Gretsch mud switch and much prefer a proper tone control. I played the Smoke through a Fender 1963 Tremolux, a Fender ‘65 DRRI and a Champ and with various pedals. Not for me.

Really it was just a matter of the Smoke not suiting me but others might find it perfect.

After returning it, which GAK was great about, I tried a G6120TGDS at Guitar Village and it suited me better than the Smoke so I bought that and really like it. My other present Gretsches are Jets (a Firebird and a CLFG) but I also have TVJ Classics in a Tele.
    Jimbro66 said:
    peanuts said:
    I love Gretsch guitars. I have three at present and have had others over the years, all Prolines except one original ‘57 Duo Jet. The Smoke had many glowing reviews so I waited patiently for months for one to appear in the U.K. I even looked at going over to Normandy to try one at a guitar store in St Lo but then the one at GAK showed up and I bought it immediately.

They are beautifully made and look the business although it had a few minor QC issues that I wouldn’t expect in a guitar of that price. Nevertheless, I set it up and played it for a couple of weeks but concluded that I didn’t like the Ray Butts pickups. My other Gretsches have had Dynasonics/T-Armonds and TVJ Classics. Some folk would love the Butts but I guess I’m more of a Dynasonic guy. I also really dislike the Gretsch mud switch and much prefer a proper tone control. I played the Smoke through a Fender 1963 Tremolux, a Fender ‘65 DRRI and a Champ and with various pedals. Not for me.

Really it was just a matter of the Smoke not suiting me but others might find it perfect.

After returning it, which GAK was great about, I tried a G6120TGDS at Guitar Village and it suited me better than the Smoke so I bought that and really like it. My other present Gretsches are Jets (a Firebird and a CLFG) but I also have TVJ Classics in a Tele.
    Thanks for the insight.

I can also concur that the G6120TGDS is a very cool guitar. I played it myself and it’s lovely. Takes out all the unnecessary quirks from the 50s versions. Too bad they only kept the wider headstock.
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 876
    I have a black Brian Setzer, I’m not sure how it differs from a Smoke model but I have to say I think it’s the best sounding modern produced guitar I’ve come across.
    Awesome thing.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • peanutspeanuts Frets: 179
    Jimbro66 said:
    peanuts said:

Great reply @Jimbro66 :+1: how would you characterise the Ray Butts pups?
    koss59 said:
    I have a black Brian Setzer, I’m not sure how it differs from a Smoke model but I have to say I think it’s the best sounding modern produced guitar I’ve come across.
    Awesome thing.
    Different pickups (setzer signature) and slightly deeper body compared to the smoke one…. And of course the  aesthetic differences.