Dimarzio covers

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1702
So I've bought a brand new Dimarzio and the cover on it is stopping it fit in my guitar body pick up route. If I have the cover removed, it should be ok, am I right? No glue/wax or anything under it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Is the cover bigger than the base plate?? Got any pics??
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2477
    I'd be amazed if it isn't wax potted under the cover, which can be a bit of a pain to get off. You could consider enlarging the pickup routes ever so slightly to accommodate - it's likely only a millimetre or two that's stopping it.
    Tim
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 257
    I recently replaced the cover on a Dimazio HS-3 single coil, and there definitely was no glue or wax involved.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14832
    Depends whether it is a humbucker or a single coil. 

Removing the metal cover from a humbucker will reduce its resale value. Might be wiser to swap for an uncovered example of the same model.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    be careful unsoldering the cover  -  you'll get wax everywhere

#voiceofexperience 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3188
    edited January 2023
    Dimarzio single coil covers were designed to come off so you could buy the garish ones! Can’t think of a Dimarzio humbucker sized one which has a removable cover.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23795
    You could keep the cover and do a bit of routing, if it's going to be hidden by a pickup ring or scratchplate.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14832
    This decade, Jetfire has been mostly playing electric guitars with their pickups mounted directly into the cavity floors rather than suspended through anything. (Ibanez RGAs and baritone things like his current avatar photograph.) 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23795
    This decade, Jetfire has been mostly playing electric guitars with their pickups mounted directly into the cavity floors rather than suspended through anything. (Ibanez RGAs and baritone things like his current avatar photograph.) 
    Good knowledge.  I had no idea.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73165
    I would add to what’s been said - it may be better to enlarge the cavity, especially if the difference is small. It could even just be finish thickness if there’s a bit of build-up around the sides. You’ll have to go carefully if it’s a direct-mounted pickup, but it can be done.

Presumably you bought a covered pickup on purpose... it would defeat the point slightly to remove it, as well as causing potential hassle if it’s potted.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1702
    So for full disclosure, Ive had covered pick ups in this Rga before. The only model I could get without spending mega bucks was a covered version which I'm ok with but it's a little bit snug (but haven't fully tried it in situ as of yet) I may just return it and keep looking but thanks for your advice 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11149
    tFB Trader
    'I took the cover off and it doesn't work any more.' 
    I think owners messing about with stuff they are neither equipped nor skilled enough to do properly, is the single biggest cause of pickups coming in to me for repair. 
    If your covered pickup doesn't fit, sell it and buy an uncovered one. 
    A covered pickup doesn't usually have the full depth exterior coil tape, so the coils are more vulnerable - unless you buy proper coil tape and wrap them once the cover is removed.
    Also, it may be that the baseplate is too large as well! Many modern guitars use custom baseplates on their own brand pickups (I believe Ibanez are doing this more and more as are Ormsby). These often have rounded ends tight to the bobbins and are not designed to take covers.    

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom