Does this noise mean something?

What's Hot
EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16669
Long story but short version is OD channel on my ( ancient and knackered looking) Laney LC50 not being as, well, ODish as it should ( ie not very much pre amp gain)and if I switch my Toadworks OD pedal on there is a very loud swirling noise ( that doesn't go if I turn the guitar down). This noise doesn't happen through the clean channel and overall volume seems unaffected. Faulty pre amp valve?
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    Yes, probably.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bugger. If the pre amp valve dies will the clean channel still work? Although, I probably should get new pre amp valves ASAP,I know !
    It's unlikely to be the one that operates the clean channel or it would probably do it on that too. Assuming it is a valve of course!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The OD channel has probably only had a couple of hours use since it last had new valves. Annoying.
    The OD channel has probably only had a couple of hours use since it last had new valves. Annoying.
    All the valves run all the time whether or not there is signal going through them, so it's had the same amount of use as the clean channel. Valves often fail when new... this is one reason you shouldn't really change all the valves at once - there's no need, and it increases the change of a failure.

It will be only one valve that's gone, so only get one spare, and use it to replace each of the preamp valve positions in turn until you find it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    The OD channel has probably only had a couple of hours use since it last had new valves. Annoying.
    All the valves run all the time whether or not there is signal going through them, so it's had the same amount of use as the clean channel. Valves often fail when new... this is one reason you shouldn't really change all the valves at once - there's no need, and it increases the change of a failure.

It will be only one valve that's gone, so only get one spare, and use it to replace each of the preamp valve positions in turn until you find it.

Ahh. change valve,power up, not worked, power down, change valve, power up, etc.
    Ahh. change valve,power up, not worked, power down, change valve, power up, etc.
    Exactly. And if you try all of them and it still isn't fixed, you've only bought one valve you didn't need instead of several…

It still is the most likely cause, although not a certainty.

(And having a spare 12AX7 is no bad thing, either.)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Seems better, although part of the noise seems to be the pedal. Should get me through the weekend gig. And what a faff trying to find someone who stocks valves in an actual building, not just online. Many thanks @ICBM. :)