Speaker advice needed for a Silverface Pro Reverb

Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 105
I've got a lovely old '72 Silverface Pro Reverb that's in need of some replacement speakers. What would you recommend?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 401
    edited September 2014
    Jensen blackbirds. Alnico, so a bit easier on the back too!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    If you can find good ones second hand, JBL D120F's. A truly wonderous speaker with a clean Fender.

Weber 150 Alnico's too

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    If you want as close as possible to the original sound, the Jensen reissues aren't bad - although you probably want the ceramic C12Q rather than an Alnico, since the originals would probably have been ceramic Utahs.

They sound nice clean, although they can be a bit ratty with distortion. Surprisingly enough I actually like the 'cheap' Jensen Mod series speakers better for overdrive, the Mod 70 in particular… although you'll probably want to remove the hideous label if you're putting them in a vintage amp :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726
    Weber 12F150 is good, or possibly the 12F125 if the originals were similar to C12Qs.  The 12F150 is the C12N equivalent.  You'd get tighter bass with the 12F150.

There are not easy to find in the UK.  Watford Valves sell them but they are sold out of the 8Ohm 12F150.  I don't know if there are any other UK dealers.

Given that Watford Valves are £99 plus VAT  (£119 or thereabouts) you may be better off just getting them direct if they will ship to the UK.  They are $112 on the Weber website (approx £70).

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/

• Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 105
    I've heard JBL's are a good choice, but aren't the hard to get hold of, heavy and expensive?

I think the original speakers were Oxford 12L6 or 12T6.

It would be great if I could find a Weber dealer, they're certainly the more affordable option.

What EV? Any opinion on those?
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2755
    Duppy03 said:
    I've heard JBL's are a good choice, but aren't the hard to get hold of, heavy and expensive?

I think the original speakers were Oxford 12L6 or 12T6.

It would be great if I could find a Weber dealer, they're certainly the more affordable option.

What EV? Any opinion on those?
    JBLs are indeed heavy and expensive. Also they seem quite fragile, so if you get an old pair there is a good chance that you will need recone later, which is also expensive.

I've seen Pro Reverbs from that era with both Oxfords and Utahs. I prefer the sound of Utahs.

Somewhere I've got a pair of Oxfords with 72 date, although I think one of them needs reconing, if your interested.

I've had good results in Fenders with the relatively inexpensive Eminence Legend 121.

Webers would be good choice too.

At some stage I'm meaning to try WGS speakers. I've got one of their Champ speakers, but haven't got around to trying it.

• xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    Yeah i'd recommend WGS alnicos. They come out at cheaper than Webers though Webers are incredible. I've put Weber alnicos in my last 5 amps (all 'vintage' type amps i.e. old fender or marshall type designs) and they really are fantastic. I'd steer away from buying old speakers and buy new, i've bought a few old Fender alnicos over the years and only a couple have actually still sounded good. I'd but new and break them in and you'll get many many years out of them. 
  • I have a WGS G12C in my Pro Rev- sounds very similar to the originals ( there was an Oxford and a Utah in there) but louder and clearer.  
  • Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 105
    Can you get WGS in the UK?
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2755
    Duppy03 said:
    Can you get WGS in the UK?
    Lean Business have them, as do Tube Town in Germany.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    I have a Jensen C12Q in my Tweed Deluxe for added drive
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>