SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Wtb Gibson Les Paul 8.5lbs or under

What's Hot
Hi guys, 

I’m looking for a Gibson Les Paul around 8.5lbs or under, preferably with a 50s profile neck. Standard model or above.

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• you need a 2008 model they are light 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • danbandanban Frets: 343
    I’d also consider custom shop models.
  • You've already got one. It's called an SG!
    You've already got one. It's called an SG!
    I have a couple of SG’s but that was more of a weight decision, I’ve put this post up as I know they exist and are out there.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5189
    winstony said:
    you need a 2008 model they are light 
    Lol. There are lighter and heavier Les Pauls from every year of manufacture. There’s no single year when they were all lighter than those made in other years! 
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5664
    winstony said:
    Lol. There are lighter and heavier Les Pauls from every year of manufacture. There’s no single year when they were all lighter than those made in other years! 
    I think @winstony is referring to the 2008-model Gibson USA Les Paul Standard, which was chambered.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1726
    If they're Special Melody Makers with 2 p90s, they combine the best and the worst of LPs and SGs! Selector switch is in a daft place tho...
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • winstony said:

I've got a lovely 2008 model from 2010 in excellent condition that I could possibly be tempted to part with 
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5189
    edited January 2023
    Brize said:
    winstony said:
    I think @winstony is referring to the 2008-model Gibson USA Les Paul Standard, which was chambered.
    Maybe he is, although the OP hasn’t specified that he only wants a Standard. I also understand Gibson made various chambered Les Paul models from late 2006 to early 2012, not just in 2008.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 88CuzJ88CuzJ Frets: 44
    How much are you looking to spend? I’ve got an R4 that weighs under 8 pounds. 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I had a 2013 Trad Pro II that weighed about 8lbs. It sounded crap though.
  • CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 266
    edited January 2023
    Brize said:
    winstony said:
    Maybe he is, although the OP hasn’t specified that he only wants a Standard. I also understand Gibson made various chambered Les Paul models from late 2006 to early 2012, not just in 2008.

Gibson made a model which they called the 2008 Les Paul Standard at the time, but I believe it was made for a few years, so not just 2008. It's easy to identify this model as it has locking grover tuners, dunlop locking strap buttons, tone pros locking bridge and stop bar and locking neutrik jack (the latter being the most recognisable feature as more difficult to change). It also had weird square bournes pots on a circuit board with a semi transparent back plate. The other major feature was its extremely chambered body.

Lots of unnecessary features on them but they were very light for a Les Paul Standard. Mine is 7.8lb. I had given up on Les Pauls until these models as I didn't find the weight of the ones I had previously comfortable.

However, I don't know whether it's the chambering, the pickups or something else but it seems to have a softer attack than other Les Pauls I have owned (a bit more like my 335) so maybe something think about if going for one of these. I quite like it though.

• slugeliseslugelise Frets: 117
    Traditional weight relief til autumn 2006, then chambered to 2012, then modern and now ultra modern.

Varies by model of LP

http://www.gibsontraditional.com/body-construction/

88CuzJ said:
    How much are you looking to spend? I’ve got an R4 that weighs under 8 pounds. 
    Thanks for the offer but I need something that’s not a wraparound bridge. 
    Ideally I’d like something custom shop