SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

I got Ebay offer on guitar I'm not even watching - is this a new thing?

What's Hot
Yesterday I got an Ebay offer (£200 below the asking price) on a guitar.  All I'd done was look at it a couple of times.  I wasn't watching it, and hadn't asked the seller any questions and don't have a search for similar items.

Is this a thing now?  Can a seller ask Ebay to make an offer to anyone who's just looked at their item, even if they haven't shown any further interest?

(As it happens I might have been interested in the guitar, but it's collection only and the seller's location makes that completely impractical for me.  So I wasn't contemplating buying it, unless he'd changed his mind and offered to post, which seemed a very long shot).
“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2485
    Yes, it’s a thing. If you watch or view an item, potential buyers get notified of discounts or offers. Basically, it increases the seller’s chances of making a sale and eBay getting their nice slice of the pie.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7207
    Its an eBay "being annoying" desperate to get thing sold thing .

I get "Sorry this item is no longer available" emails about things that appear in a search list (ie 1x12 cabs), but Ive never viewed! Grrrr.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • What makes it seem odd is that I must have looked at thousands of items over the years and it's never happened before.  I've had offers before, but only after registering more of an interest than just having a look.
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 326
    It may be helpful to log out of eBay for browsing purposes and then log back in when you are ready to bid or buy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2925
    edited February 2023
    I used it with a pedal I had for sale on ebay.
    Got a counteroffer at 2am offering 50% under the asking price, then sold it to someone for the offer price. So it does seem to work on occasions.

And on the reverse of the above, I had someone message me swearing saying how dare I send then an offer as they weren't even watching it. Seriously! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10921
    It's quite aggressive isn't it. eBay is basically a giant money hoover. They'll be investing shed loads into driving sales and hoovering up even more. It is annoying how they try and push you down a particular pathway as a seller though. No lowballs, I know what I got etc etc
  • Whistler said:
    It may be helpful to log out of eBay for browsing purposes and then log back in when you are ready to bid or buy.

It didn't really bother me tbh, I was just surprised.  I'm not a heavy Ebay user by any stretch (I've probably averaged less than one transaction a year since signing up).  I'm not an easy person to tempt if I'm not looking for something specific.