SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: 1991 Ibanez S540LTD - USA Neck plate - Great condition for age - £400

What's Hot
MattayusMattayus Frets: 125
edited April 2023 in Guitars £
EDIT: £400

So this is an Ibanez S540LTD. 1991 with a USA neck-plate (assembled in the US from Japanese-made parts before fully moving production to Japan). Square heel joint, before the AANJ came along.

Includes trem arm and battered Ibanez case (neither pictured).

This was a massive impulse purchase but I just can't get on with Ibanez vibe these days, as amazing as I appreciate this guitar is!

I must say that for the age, this is a beast. Fretwork is still in good shape, and there are no huge chunks of paint missing.

Things of note: The usual hairline crack behind the nut, which is practically par for the course for any Ibanez this old, and there are obvious marks (swirls, hairline scratches etc) as it's a 32yr old guitar. The side dots... not sure if they've been drilled out or fallen out? But in any case they're concave for some reason. A bit odd. But doesn't affect playability or function/structure.

But overall, it's great, and the tone from this thing is actually spectacular. I've been on the fence about keeping it just for that alone. Great sustain, really good harmonics, and an overall more muscular tone than I'm used to for Ibanez. Big low end, but not muddy.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SvennnSvennn Frets: 146
    I don't have anything I would trade unfortunately. Good job there is no price as I would be sorely tempted. Awesome guitars, glwtt
    9-42 thru 11-56 depending on my mood
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8961
    What is the asking price?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • MattayusMattayus Frets: 125
    edited March 2023
    Currently there are some on Reverb for over £1,200 but that seems absolutely insane.

I do see this as comparable to a Japanese Charvel, which tend to go for around the £800+ mark currently, so I'd value it around that, if that helps?

I am open to cash offers if nobody has anything to trade. I just feel that, with the price being so subjective, I'd rather go for a trade based on value, and I see Japanese Jacksons/Charvels/Kramers as a fair trade, regardless of what they're being sold for.
    bump
  • Mattayus said:
    Currently there are some on Reverb for over £1,200 but that seems absolutely insane.

I do see this as comparable to a Japanese Charvel, which tend to go for around the £800+ mark currently, so I'd value it around that, if that helps?

I am open to cash offers if nobody has anything to trade. I just feel that, with the price being so subjective, I'd rather go for a trade based on value, and I see Japanese Jacksons/Charvels/Kramers as a fair trade, regardless of what they're being sold for.
    Its really hard to know where to pitch these older guitars. Market is crazy.   I've been looking for a reasonably priced Jem 7v.  12-18 months ago they would sell for £1100-1300. Now people are asking £2k.  

Trying to trade seems the simplest way to navigate the market at the moment. 

Good luck with yours. 
    Yeah exactly, which is why I thought trades were a better option! It's more appealing.

Good luck with your Jem hunt!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Bump.

Starting to see some things I'd like so cash offers welcome 
    Will take £650 for it if that entices any takers?
    Open to offers for this vintage beaut.
    edited March 2023
    Alright I just need this gone now.

£400 for a vintage Ibanez.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3146
    It's almost criminal just how good of a deal that is. I have a slightly older one of these in DSY. One of the best guitars I've ever played
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3586
    PM sent. Let's get this deal done.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SvennnSvennn Frets: 146
    carlos said:
    PM sent. Let's get this deal done.
    Thank goodness, I couldn't have stood idly by much longer even though I have a couple already
    9-42 thru 11-56 depending on my mood
  • CapeloCapelo Frets: 17
    Mega deal. A lot of guitar for the money. Thanks goodness someone has snatched it. 
    Still up for sale. Some bites, but fell at the final hurdle.
    Still nobody following through on this despite lots of enquirers.

Come on chaps. People are selling Chinese Epiphones for more than this. Don't make me eBay it!
    Sold! (Finally!)