Removing a tele jack socket (that doesn't want to go!)

What's Hot
Help! My telecaster requires a new jack socket. The one that's on it cuts out quite a bit and jack plugs sit loosely in it compared to my other guitars. If I plug in the lekato wireless that I have it spins around very freely.

I thought nice and simple, remove and replace. But those 2 screws just turn without raising and dislocating from the wood. That circular contact in the middle can move around but even accessing from inside there seems no way to remove the whole assembly. 

Any advice? What's my next move?
Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Get the tip of a knife blade under the edges of the screws and gently lever them out while turning them with the screwdriver *without* pushing them in again at the same time...

If that fails, get a cheap screwdriver and epoxy it into one of the screw heads, wait until it's set and then unwind the screw. Heat the screw to break down the glue and repeat for the other one.

If the jack rotates in the cup, that sounds to me like it's a US-thread cup with a metric socket in it. Replace the socket with a Switchcraft, they should fit tightly.

Plug the holes in the wood with wood glue and cocktail sticks, and preferably replace the screws with longer ones so they grip better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7448
    @ICBM you legend!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tony99 said:
    @ICBM you legend!
    This is just one of the many frustrating bastard jobs I've had to learn how to do over the years, sometimes involving much more effort along the way than what finally proves to be the easiest solution, so I'm more than happy to pass on the knowledge and save you the pain :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2023
    ICBM said:
    tony99 said:
    @ICBM you legend!
    This is just one of the many frustrating bastard jobs I've had to learn how to do over the years, sometimes involving much more effort along the way than what finally proves to be the easiest solution, so I'm more than happy to pass on the knowledge and save you the pain .
    Spot on mate and thanks for the advice.
    What do I need then? Buy the switch craft socket piece and use the cup section I already have or just get brand new of both?
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    A Switchcraft one won't fit that cup which is threaded for a metric jack. Unless you're happy tapping the cup for a US thread best buy a new cup with your Switchcraft jack.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    A Switchcraft one won't fit that cup which is threaded for a metric jack. Unless you're happy tapping the cup for a US thread best buy a new cup with your Switchcraft jack.
    ok cool. Where's best to sort switchcraft stuff?

I worry the ebay listings say switch craft but might actually not be.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3432
    @gavin_axecaster is your man for replacements.
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 528
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for the recommendation.

All my electrosockets are compatible with Switchcraft jacks - just select colour and jack from the dropdowns.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yes, even if that is an imperial socket - it’s definitely a metric jack - it’s probably best just to replace both with the correct chrome Electrosocket and a Switchcraft jack.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for the recommendation.

All my electrosockets are compatible with Switchcraft jacks - just select colour and jack from the dropdowns.

ordered, cheers gavin!