SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

(T'is now gone) FS: Overwater Guitar +Hiscox Liteflite Case

close2uclose2u Frets: 997
edited September 2013 in Guitars £

No longer available ....

I have advertised this before on MR and elsewhere for about £800+ then £750, £725 ... now £675 on gumtree etc.

Overwater Electric guitar.

Custom built at a cost of more than £1500 approximately 10 years ago.

I'm thinking £620 delivered for forumites.

This is a hand-built custom made guitar from Overwater. It needed some repair / maintenance etc. And so I have just had it back from Nigel Stockbridge of Richmond. The work included:·

• a full fret dress (I am now strongly resisting the urge to say it plays like butter lol)
  • manufacturing a custom aluminium jack socket to replace the existing one that had cracked;
  • reducing the visible 'ghosting on the rear of the body with some careful buffing / polishing / sanding etc ... note .. it is still there but much less obvious;
  • performing a full set-up including truss rod adjustment, intonation etc and set-up for hybrid gauge 9s.

The improvement is amazing and playing it now is so smooth. It is absolutely stunning. This work was necessary whether to keep or to sell. And I have decided to sell. For two main reasons. For all the improved playability, I still find the fingerboard a little too flat for my hands and playing style. And I prefer bigger frets on a chunkier neck. I would love it to be just right. It is a really comfortable guitar standing or sitting, It feels right in so many aspects. It is a good weight. I love the sounds from it whether in humbucker or tapped mode. It has great tones that work especially well in a band ... 'it cuts through the mix'.

Photos (taken before luthier work).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    edited September 2013

Specification:

• Mahogany through neck, mahogany body 'wings'
    • Maple cap
    • Seymour Duncan pickups ... Duncan Custom SH-5 in the neck and Custom Custom SH-11 in the bridge
    • Tonepot acts as a coil-split on both
    • 24 frets
    • 1 Meg volume pot
    • Schaller tuning pegs (old Schaller ... Made in W Germany)
    • Schallerstrap locks
    • Scale length 25"
    • Neck: 41.5 mm width at nut / 52mm width at fret 12 / 20mm depth at nut / 23 mm depth at fret 12
    • Guitar hand built in the UK
    • Comes with Hiscox Liteflite case

Defects, wear & tear etc ... There remains some slight 'ghosting' in the finish on the rear. There are some little dings and knocks at various places ... the usual places really for a guitar that has been used ... headstock, edge of body and neck etc ... nothing to worry about or effect playability. One of the spring mechanisms of the strap locks is a bit faulty so I have just worn it with a normal strap.

Any questions get in touch

edited September 2013

aarrggg

blooming formatting problems

sorted - I think

• BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    Have a bump...these are great guitars ..I have 2 of these and use them over fender and gibson all the time..

Thanks Barney - and I know that there were other Overwater 6-string players over on the MusicRadar forums.

I can be flexible on price if necessary to sell.

Get in touch ...

I do think it's time to shift it on and GAS after something else.

Offers of trades too ???

What you got?

I do want to sell ...

nudge nudge

wink wink

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    It might be worth your while putting this on the basschat classifieds. 

Overwater tends to mean more to bass players than guitarists. 

edited September 2013
    It might be worth your while putting this on the basschat classifieds. 

Overwater tends to mean more to bass players than guitarists. 

Thanks for the tip .... you mean bass classifieds here or another website?

edit

found the basschat form - thanks .. .£7 to post an ad but hey ho ....

Extra info for the advert based on some queries via pm ....

Here is some extra info, summarised from various messages back and forward, about the pickups, that I got on good authority (i.e. folk that know a lot more than me) over at Seymour Duncan.

It has a Duncan Custom SH-5 in the neck and a Custom Custom SH-11 in the bridge. The pairing fits well on a 24-fret guitar. They were made from about 1988 - 2002, judging from the labels and the MiA and the finisher of the pickup (not the winder!) was someone named Lidia. Both are wired standard (black to hot, green + bare to ground) with split (red+white to the push-pull). With a 1Meg volume pot. The 1Meg pot enhances the treble on both pickups. This is there to balance the characterstics of each ... the CC can be 'middy' sounding and the DC can be quite 'dark' in the neck slot. The 1Meg pot doesn't really enchance the highs, it's more like "the next best thing to having the pickup wired directly to the output jack". The pot allows the fullest power of the pickup to go to the jack.

So, what I have found using it, whether clean, overdriven, madly distorted, the humbuckers stay clear and defined. They handle whatever you put through them. I've played growling fuzz and crisp, bright funk, and with careful dynamic playing, use of the volume / tone controls, you can get what you want to hear. Then, you can go in to single coil mode. There is a definite dip in the output when you do this. Again, using volume control, or a boost pedal etc negates this if you want to keep levls balanced. The single coil tones are not strat-like ... not glassy / shrill. They are quite rounded, mellow and balanced. I have mainly used them playing light funky rhythms, or with an acoustic sim on my fx or for a contrasting when jamming on some blues and I want to take it down a notch or two from humbucker power. They are very useful sounds.

Deal done on a swap ... no longer available.