Weights to add into a pedal to make it heavier

What's Hot
PLOPPLOP Frets: 353
edited March 2023 in Making & Modding
Hey,

I'm looking at building a very simple "pedal" that is basically just a box to connect two Male cables together. The reason is that I use a Helix, with an external volume pedal, which I prefer to have to the right of the Helix. However, the cable from my guitar drapes over it if I keep it on the right. If I go through a heavy pedal that will stop any cable movement on the floor in front of me.

I know I could just get a wireless thing but I'm sentimental about having a cool, coiled cable so I want to keep that. I know the solution I'm making here works as at home I use a heavy wah for exactly this purpose but I don't want to take it to gigs since I don't use it on those songs. 

So after all that, basically I just want to build this box but I need some weights to put in there to stop it moving. I think 800-900g will be perfect after some "scientific" testing!

So any suggestions welcome! Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2248
    Instead of putting weights inside the pedal, could you use some 3M dual lock to attach it to something that stays put. 
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PLOPPLOP Frets: 353
    Instead of putting weights inside the pedal, could you use some 3M dual lock to attach it to something that stays put. 

I don't have anything else out that I could stick it to, or else that would be good.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1291
    Just gaffa tape the cable to the floor - always worked for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    PLOP said:

I don't have anything else out that I could stick it to, or else that would be good.
    I just wondered whether you could use a piece of plywood, for example, that's held down by the weight of your Helix and extends beyond it.

It's not a competition.
    edited March 2023
    That's no fun. You're making the solution too obvious
    It's not a competition.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8970
    How big will the box be?  You have estimated that you would need it to be 800 to 900g.  That's almost a bag of granulated sugar in weight.  You would need a fairly thick chunk of metal as an extra weight or base unless you made the box a bit oversized and kind of a silly waste of floor space.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10970
    Just fill a bag with sand, seal it up and put it in there. 

i know what you mean though, the Line 6 G10 receiver has a large lump of metal screwed in the bottom that serves no purpose other than this 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    The enclosure I plan on using is the same size as a Big Muff I think, 95x120mm. So plenty of space in there for the minimal amount of "guts" and then space for rolls of 2p coins glued in or something.

Boorrriinngg! Am I even a guitarist if I don't make things overly complicated? Don't be silly. ;)
    To save my attempts at awful and probably faulty soldering, I might try something like this somehow rigged into a box format

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 10012
    Kill two birds with one stone by gooping it in molten lead.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7407
    Or use the weight of the volume pedal…and a cable clip to guide the cable….

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    Cut a wee slot in the top and put all your change in.