Telecaster armrest

What's Hot
citesquestioncitesquestion Frets: 35
edited March 2023 in Making & Modding
Inspired in part by Jack White's latest CS tele and actually by the need to hide a ding on a tele body, I researched mounting a banjo-style armrest. 

I couldn't find anything tele specific but bought the cheapest banjo one I could find. The curvature isn't quite right and the best fit is achieved when pushing it quite far, almost to the middle of the body. I don't think I can bend it to fit the curvature of the tele body.

Has anyone done something like this? Not my pic but think this person was dealing with the same issue:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2136
    edited March 2023
    Embrace the ding. That guard will damage the body anyway. Plus it doesn't look nice. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20 said:
    Embrace the ding. That guard will damage the body anyway. Plus it doesn't look nice. 
    It looked pretty decent with a dark red body. I don't mind extra screws or tape marks. More of a "I want to try out" thing
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 4211
    Inspired in part by Jack White's latest CS tele and actually by the need to hide a ding on a tele body, I researched mounting a banjo-style armrest. 

I couldn't find anything tele specific but bought the cheapest banjo one I could find. The curvature isn't quite right and the best fit is achieved when pushing it quite far, almost to the middle of the body. Not my pic but think this person was dealing with the same issue. I don't think I can bend it to fit the curvature of the tele body.

Has anyone done something like this?

No, but you inspired me to see if I could reuse a mandolin armrest I have lying around

The guitar is too thin for it to fit so I'll need to pad it out if I'm going to use it.
    Trading feedback thread:https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/172761/drofluf

Sporky: "Drofluf is a reverse vampire, who always appears in mirrors."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • drofluf said:
     No, but you inspired me to see if I could reuse a mandolin armrest I have lying around

The guitar is too thin for it to fit so I'll need to pad it out if I'm going to use it.
    A nice way to add a bit of an accent to a woody build
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 1306
    Quite like the look of that, the colours work well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 4211
    Mine or @citesquestion's?
    Trading feedback thread:https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/172761/drofluf

Sporky: "Drofluf is a reverse vampire, who always appears in mirrors."
  • drofluf said:
    Not mine either, pic from the internet but with an identical issue that the thing raises a bit towards the bottom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    You may think it doesn't look too bad just having that on your Tele, but it's insidious - before you know it you'll be chewing tobacco and driving a pickup truck with a gun rack on the back...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16314
    Deary deary me
    tae be or not tae be
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 1306
    drofluf said:
    Oh i meant the one in the OP in green and gold. Just think the colours look cool. I've got a butterscotch colour tele and i don't reckon it would work on that though. 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    It looks better than I expected it to, that's for sure!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Not a fan. It's the guitar equivalent of wearing a wig if you ask me ...