Acoustic pickup in a hollowbody?

What's Hot
I’m thinking of building a hollowbody next, and thinking of options to get acoustic-ish sounds from it (as well as more usual electrics).

The body should use bent laminated veneer sides, a centre block as far as the bridge, and a carved top, which I’d hope the CNC could get fairly thin (but not acoustic-top thinness).

I’m thinking I’ll use a standard electric bridge of some kind, so I *could* use Graphtech type piezo saddles, but I’m wondering what other options might be viable. 

I could design-in some sort of sound hole to house an acoustic sound hole pickup (assuming those don’t need the body vibrations?).  Would in-body sensors of some kind work in that sort of construction?  

Any thoughts?
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    First thought: Martin Taylor's signature guitars by Yamaha, Peerless et cetera. 

Second thought: soundboard contact transducers. i.e. K&K, Taylor Expression.

Third thought: If the guitar will prioritise acoustic sounds over magnetic pickup ones, L.R. Baggs Lyric.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8078
    Piezo saddles are shit.

Body transducer like the K&K or JJB copy.
    Piezo saddles are shit.
    I wouldn't say that.

It is the sound that piezo saddles produce that is shit.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28444
    Piezo saddles are shit.
    I wouldn't say that.

Depends what you're after, surely?

If you want a pure acoustic sound, then they're not going to do a particularly good job of that.  But it you want an acoustic-ish sound blended in with the magnetics, then they do a good job.  And using a split output into both acoustic and "normal" amps helps the sound a lot too.

But hence the Q really.

What I'm thinking of building won't have the acoustic soundboard or back nor an acoustically optimised body shape, so it's not going to have the same level of acoustic sound generation of a proper acoustic.  Given that limitation, what are my best options for creating an acoustic-esque sound from it, like a hybrid?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    That's the question really, how "acoustic" is it? 

Contact or internal mics may be less suitable if it is not optimized for them, but they may still add some interesting colour that helps de-piezo the sound

• Or build the guts of a variax into it……
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:
    What I'm thinking of building won't have the acoustic soundboard or back nor an acoustically optimised body shape, so it's not going to have the same level of acoustic sound generation of a proper acoustic.
    Seems to me as if you are building a Godin-alike.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Piezo saddles are shit.
    I wouldn't say that.

They're pretty good if they're used to drive IR-based modelling or guitar synthesisers.

Although, they still do have reliability problems.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein