Nux Mighty Plug Idiots Guide

What's Hot
StrumitStrumit Frets: 50
edited March 2023 in Amps
Hi folks. Newbie could do with an idiots guide to my Nux mighty plug headphone amp.  The included tiny scrap of paper may be OK for computer/guitar playing whizzes but us oldies need something simpler.  Like How to save what we like and how to import new presets (is that even possible?).  Here's hoping!  I've seen the "Mightier" app but was unsure if I might zap the plug in!
Regards and thanks in advance, Mike
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8475
    Get the app. 
    Makes a huge difference to usability. 
    It connects easily, amazingly tweakable, but without all the option blindness I get with some modelling amps. 
    Set, forget, much joy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2136
    I think it has about 7 presets on it. If you want to change them you have to download the app and then bluetooth the Nux to your phone to allow you to switch in and out the amp models and various effects and the level of them. Once you find a setting you like you can save it into one of your presets. You can also bluetooth instead into a music player and play along to backing tracks using any of your saved presets. I think there's also some built in backing tracks. For less than £60 it's probably the most versatile headphones dongle/mini amp out there if you just want to tuck it away in your gig bag. Borrowed on of a mate to use with my Shure SE215's a couple of weeks ago on the basis of a thread on here around that time. Quite impressed with it. Going to order one before I hand it back. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StrumitStrumit Frets: 50
    Thanks folks.  I have the app on my phone and am slowly getting around it.  It seems that I have been forgetting to switch the effects on and off.  As a newbie to these things, I don't know my reverb from my echo but after some experimentation, I'm beginning to connect the names to the sounds.  It's a cracking piece of kit for the money.  It's like having a backing group in your pocket! (Even through my £20 headphones!)
    Strumit said:
    Thanks folks.  I have the app on my phone and am slowly getting around it.  It seems that I have been forgetting to switch the effects on and off.  As a newbie to these things, I don't know my reverb from my echo but after some experimentation, I'm beginning to connect the names to the sounds.  It's a cracking piece of kit for the money.  It's like having a backing group in your pocket! (Even through my £20 headphones!)
    A proper set of in-ear monitor buds would be far better. I recommend the 215's. They're about £100 but worth it to get the most out of your NUX. 

Ian

• Re your typo on the header: it's the Mux Nux
     sorry ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Been using a sound editing programme to have a go at mixing (never done anything like that before)  =) and managed to record two tracks by connecting the mini usb (from the Nux) to my computer, using a programme/app called Audacity (free download).  I have found that you can download a backing track, then add your input.  I have since, used a track from Goran Tangrings site of "Shadows" style backing tracks and, once I feel that I can "keep up to pace" without making too many mistakes, I'll have a crack at it.  Retirement is a wonderful chance to have the time for these "projects"!  Such a shame that earning a living doing a "proper job" (my parents words/advice) kept me away from music for so long! :(  Once that I get more proficient it will be "lay down a track" of my own!!! (hope that is the correct lingo !)
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1356
    i posted on another Nux MP2 thread.
    A few questions .

I've just got mine and worked out the presets etc and i found the factory ones were poor, i know i can edit them but i've managed to make them even worse by editing them !
    Any pointers on how to create good patches of artists you like ?

And how about if anyone has some good patches then post the rough settings on here ?

I tried to play along with a track from you tube today ,Nux connected to android tablet via bluetooth ,i was told come out of the app but leave it running in the backgroud then go to you tube and select the track,i did this and the you tube track came out of my tablet speakers and the guitar / nux sound came out of my headphones ?
    So i left the nux connected to the app on my tablet and opened you tube app on my phone selected track and selected bluetooth option and connected to Nux app and both came through my headphones ? why is it working using my phone and not using my tablet ? i think ive had a idea? you can't bluetooth 2 things so the tablets bluetooth for the nux and the phones for the you tube ?
    or am i making an even bigger fool of myself ? =)

mark123 said:
    i posted on another Nux MP2 thread.
    A few questions .

I've just got mine and worked out the presets etc and i found the factory ones were poor, i know i can edit them but i've managed to make them even worse by editing them !
    Any pointers on how to create good patches of artists you like ?

And how about if anyone has some good patches then post the rough settings on here ?

I tried to play along with a track from you tube today ,Nux connected to android tablet via bluetooth ,i was told come out of the app but leave it running in the backgroud then go to you tube and select the track,i did this and the you tube track came out of my tablet speakers and the guitar / nux sound came out of my headphones ?
    So i left the nux connected to the app on my tablet and opened you tube app on my phone selected track and selected bluetooth option and connected to Nux app and both came through my headphones ? why is it working using my phone and not using my tablet ? i think ive had a idea? you can't bluetooth 2 things so the tablets bluetooth for the nux and the phones for the you tube ?
    or am i making an even bigger fool of myself ? =)

I also lost the originals as I edited them!!!  I deleted the app and reinstalled it and the presets came back as original.  I am still finding my way around it.  I had forgotten that you change the preset by pressing the button on the plug in and not on the phone!!!  I'll leave someone else to answer your questions as I am still learning the system myself.  I've read good things about the "Mightier" app but want to get the original working first. Good luck Mark.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10969
    I use the phone to control the Nux but my laptop to BT youtube videos to it so I can learn songs and play along. This seems to work well. 

This is a basic EVH patch which is the Friedman amp with 70% gain, Phaser pedal, short delay and Plate reverb. 

This is the Fender clean tone, compressor, short delay and  plate reverb 

This is the acoustic simm with a plate reverb 

All videos just  recorded by connecting the Nux to the USB port of my Macbook, firing up Quicktime and hitting record. There's no edits or overdubs, just recorded direct in real time with the Nux

Unfortunately I broke the jack part of mine last week so will be doing some surgery and rehousing with mods with it just as soon as I can clean the workload off my electronics bench. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Great stuff Danny.  Thank you "for the music"!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3000
    edited March 2023
    The desktop editor app is a bit less fiddly/more intuitive to use imo. The mobile app is very convenient though. I've found that the JCM800 model sounds really good and its the only amp model I use, but you can't really have the treble/presence higher than 50 - it has this weird overtone that makes it sound like a fuzz/slight octave up kind of effect. For more brightness I use the EQ block after the amp/IR which works fine. 
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1356
    TTBZ said:
    The desktop editor app is a bit less fiddly/more intuitive to use imo. The mobile app is very convenient though. I've found that the JCM800 model sounds really good and its the only amp model I use, but you can't really have the treble/presence higher than 50 - it has this weird overtone that makes it sound like a fuzz/slight octave up kind of effect. For more brightness I use the EQ block after the amp/IR which works fine. 
    where is the eq block on the app ? i just have IR which goes from 0 to 100 ?
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1687
    EFX -> 3 band EQ. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

Lovely playing there @Danny1969 and nice tone set up. 

Ian

edited April 2023
    Is anyone using the Mightier Amp app?  .