Pickups and parts for a Crimson build

What's Hot
Booked on with Crimson to build a strat (hard tail but as close to a superstrat as I can get) in May. My first from scratch and I don’t have anything for it yet. 

I’m researching hardware…

Before I start buying new stuff does anyone have
- any recommendations for any of the basics (tuners bridge etc). Crimson have Gotoh and Schaller available so was going to go with one of them.
And any stuff for sale?

- any bridge and neck humbucker pickups.
I’m liking an EVH Frankenstein bridge, it’s what I know from my actual EVHFrankie, and I think Seymour Duncan make them. Alnico2.
I’m stuck for what to put at the neck. And no idea how to choose. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27978
    For a 6-string hardtail bridge, check Grainger Guitar Parts.  I've found them to be top quality.

For pickups - you won't go far wrong with Oil City ... 

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11519
    I went to Crimson and built a guitar.  The Gotoh and Schaller stuff they use is good, and they don't put a massive markup on them so they are reasonable prices.

The one thing I would say is that that the ash they gave me for the body was very heavy.  It's got a 5mm maple cap on it, so I chambered it under the cap, which makes the guitar a reasonable weight, but if I'd gone fully solid, it would have been very heavy.  If I was going again I'd source my own wood from someone like David Dyke.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dariusdarius Frets: 671
    crunchman said:
    I went to Crimson and built a guitar.  The Gotoh and Schaller stuff they use is good, and they don't put a massive markup on them so they are reasonable prices.

The one thing I would say is that that the ash they gave me for the body was very heavy.  It's got a 5mm maple cap on it, so I chambered it under the cap, which makes the guitar a reasonable weight, but if I'd gone fully solid, it would have been very heavy.  If I was going again I'd source my own wood from someone like David Dyke.

Because ash can be lighter or do you mean source a lighter wood like Swamp Ash? which is apparently very impossible to get.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11519
    darius said:
    crunchman said:

Because ash can be lighter or do you mean source a lighter wood like Swamp Ash? which is apparently very impossible to get.

I think they use English ash, which is often very heavy.

If depends on what you want to build, but I was going for something Tele'ish.
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2576
    Swamp ash is still available, David Dyke stocks 1,2 & 3 piece blanks. Fender only use it for Custom Shop now, an invasive beetle has put the future of American ash in a precarious situation
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16963
    At one time it would be much lighter than a normal guitar blank. I remember tossing my mate a 1 piece body blank when I first went wood shopping for guitars 20+ years ago... it didn't feel like real wood.

These days the good swamp ash is comparable in weight to those other woods.  Still light for ash, but rarely truly lightweight for a guitar

Expect anything sold as Ash, English or not, to make a very heavy guitar.  Expect anything sold as Swamp Ash to be a more reasonable weight, but not always lightweight.

remember the swamp/punk ash was rejected for all other wood working situations where you would chose Ash.
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2357
    tFB Trader
    darius said:
    crunchman said:

David Dyke has plenty of Swamp Ash, see photo below, although really light weight Swamp Ash is not so easy to fined these days. Also Swamp Ash nearly doubled in price over the last year.

This is just some of the stock that David has, inside there are lots of Swamp Ash, one piece and multi piece pre-joined bodies blanks. 

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom