Ebay troubles (maybe) with ebay user "danmuaic"

What's Hot
spev11spev11 Frets: 472
Bit of a long shot this but here goes anyway, my mate bought a Sire V3 on Ebay from ebay user danmuaic, he's in Rhyl and has 100% feedback. The bass arrived and it was'nt a bass it was a book called (ironically) The Sage Dictionary Of Criminology . I've got the image of the "parcel" and it very much appears the label has been removed from once package and put onto this one. The seller booked via Parcel2go who used Evri.
 It would appear that someone has stolen the bass en route and substituted the book. My mate has raised it with both the seller and Ebay. The seller is being largely unresponsive whilst ebay are saying wait until the 31st before escalation. 
Whilst im pretty sure Ebay/Paypal will side with my mate and issue a refund the best outcome would be the seller responding and contacting the courier but that doesnt seem to be happening. We were hoping that maybe someone here knows him? Maybe he's away or having problems hence the lack of communication.
Anyway , if you've read this far then thank you.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7406
    Was the book any good?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4250
    Bad luck. I hope they get it sorted. 

It is quite ironic to steal something and replace it with a book on crime. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 3091
    tFB Trader
    I had something a bit like it maybe, evri dropped one parcel off ok. But next day I got more texts and emails about a due delivery, wasn't expecting anything. And some kids clothes arrived...my name and address on an Evri label stuck over the original post label. Seems Evri fucked up. I couldn't find a way to contact them and send it back.
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 472
    My mate has a history of mental health problems so I'm trying to sort it out so it doesnt trigger him off. Evri's apathy is palpable. The seller , although he has good feedback has gone weirdly quiet as well. Will wait a bit longer and see what develops. Whilst most couriers aren't great, EVRI are a special case in being shite.
    tony99 said:
    Was the book any good?
    I'll borrow it and see  =)

• joeWjoeW Frets: 555
    If it a delivery issue, the seller is in for a shock when eBay finally get involved.  He may well be thinking the buyer is trying to scam him?  Hope it all works out for your mate 
    joeW said:
    If it a delivery issue, the seller is in for a shock when eBay finally get involved.  He may well be thinking the buyer is trying to scam him?  Hope it all works out for your mate 
    This is why we want his response before it gets that far. It has been stolen during the time evri have had the parcel. We want him to provide a copy of his invoice detailing weight and parcel size. Evri can’t claim insurance issues as no one would think to include theft by the actual courier ( and couriers can’t put it in the conditions as it’s then an open admission that they steal things).
    Also we have a photo from Evri tied to the tracking number of the parcel ( book ) being delivered
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 1018
    Everi are very strict on size and weight, this has to be declared before sending and if over the maximum they issue a supplementary charge or reject it - I had both happen. 
    The max length is 120cm long and maximum volume is 245cm3 so a bass really would stick out as an outside item. 
    Hope this gets resolved
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8970
    spev11 said:
    ..... it very much appears the label has been removed from once package and put onto this one.
    It does occasionally happen that a sticky label with a slightly loose edge can become stuck to an adjacent parcel in the containers (usually wheeled cages) that the packages are placed in during the journey between hubs.  In that unlikely event the bass could be kicking around one of the Evri distribution warehouses without a label.  It would be extremely unlikely that a label would come off one parcel and stick directly over the existing label of another parcel though, so make sure that there isn't a partially covered label on the packaging the book was in.

quite heavily taped , theres no other label underneath according to James (my mate)
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8970
    Is that the cover of the book directly under the brown tape at the right?
    No sender in their right mind would apply brown tape directly around a book.  That's not mixed up parcels.  In my opinion that definitely looks like an insider has just grabbed a book from somewhere and crudely taped the label from your item to it.  The label shows the classic signs of being peeled off another item.  It's almost impossible to do without tearing the label. 

Somebody clearly knows the extreme difficulties that parcel recipients have trying to convince courier customer service people that the correct item has not been received and the pro-forma response will be "it has been logged that the parcel was delivered".  Even when they are told that the driver's photo of the delivery at the door is not actually the correct door, they still dig in their heels and say "but the scanner shows it was delivered".  That is very fishy indeed.
    Yeah this is my take on it too. If we can get weight and or size confirmation off the seller (he's not replied but he's has good feedback so maybe he's ill/away etc) then we can at least build a case against Evri, the depot is in Pontypool so about an hour or so' drive. I'm quite prepared to go there and have a frank discussion with the manager as I'm tired of people being ripped off by these companies. The only thing a parcel delivery company has to do is deliver parcels, how do they manage to do such a terrible job?
     I did find a forum that had dealt with a similar incident and they got a refund from Evri based on (as i put above) the fact that you cant and shouldnt have to pay insurance against theft by the courier or its agents.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    Quite clearly theft by an insider - someone who knows the system and what a guitar/bass size package looks like.

The worst case scenario is that you have to force a refund from the seller via Ebay, since I’m pretty sure ‘significantly not as described’ covers it. It’s the seller’s problem to deal with Evri, since they paid for the service.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2330
    Yeah - as transacted through eBay it's entirely on the seller to sort these sort of things out.  Rightly or wrongly eBay is risk free for the buyer as far as I'm aware
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1826
    Hi @spev11 i had an almost identical issue to the one you described, however in this case I was the seller and rather than ebay it was on this forum.

Going back to Oct 21 (I think) I sold a champ style amp to a nice fellow on this forum and used Hermes (now evri) as the courier. The buyer received a box of books rather than an amp.

The parcel that arrived look 'similar' to the one and was roughly the same I'd sent. It even had the labels I'd used on it.

I'm quite thorough when i send any item of value with a courier so I had photographed the amp being packed, the package with the labels from various angles. I think with this one i even took a picture of it at the place I dropped it off with the collection receipt.

Hermes initially investigated and provided their proof of delivery however i stuck to my guns and was able to get confirmation that the box scanned at the hub did not look the same as the box I'd left with their 'agent'.  I ended up having to issue an LBA and copied in everyone at Hermes i could find an email address for - at which point they decided to agree to settle my claim.

I had to provide evidence of the value of the amp - luckily i still had the receipt for the amp when i bought it.  It's also worth mentioning that i had paid for the extra insurance otherwise all i'd have got back is the courier fee.

Now I'm obviously not going to throw around a wild accusation that someone associated with this courier intercepted my parcel between drop off and it arriving at the depot, replaced it with a very similar one containing books, put my labels on it and then sent it on to the buyer - I'm' merely pointing out what a strange co-incidence both our stories with the same courier are..........

your mate as a buyer will be fine - if the seller didn't pay for the extra insurance and check the T&C's properly that bass and his money are now lost forever 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    cheers all, we'd rather he didn't lose out either but If that's how it goes I'm not sure theres much we can do. 
    As for the whole theft thing, It seems to be well documented that its happening and Evri are finding that in small claims court they are losing cases for the reason I mentioned. They try to bluff out of it but ultimately settle. 
     It should be a police matter but unless we'd ordered some nitrous I don't think they'll be bothered (not their fault really just the usual given too many things to do with too little manpower)
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12882
    Our local Evri driver posted on the local Facebook group that the company won’t allow him to leave parcels on the doorstep anymore if there’s no answer. His “solution” …. get yourself a big plastic box, write POST on it, then I’ll be able to leave your parcels in it. 

How dumb is that? Now every scrote in the area will know exactly where to look to nick your stuff. 
    I have everything delivered to my work address as I'm nearly always there in working hours, I dont arrange delivery when I'm not. On the odd occasion I have no control I leave a note for them to leave with the shop next door, which they usually dont do. 
    I had a DPD driver stand the other side of the road and take a photo of the shop to prove we were closed when he came, he didnt cross the road, nor did he see me in the window looking out at him, couldnt catch him but he used the photo to prove we were closed. It was fun pointing out me looking out of the picture  =)