Anyone had any luck ageing chrome?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
edited April 2023 in Making & Modding
Either proper 'ageing', or maybe some process that looks like ageing?

When I say ageing I guess I mean getting something closer to how nickel looks when aged rather than just pitted chrome ...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    Chrome doesn't age like nickel... pitting is what it does, whilst the remaining plating stays very shiny.

However, some physical abrasion prior to being suspended above acid can get you a decent worn look

Just hand polishing off some of the factory shine can help it not look so new

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4635
    I seem to recall the use of plastic bags & acid or chemicals ,eg make like a little greenhouse 

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/is-there-an-absolutely-stone-cold-certain-method-for-aging-chrome-plated-guitar-hardware.2058045/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    axisus said:

When I say ageing I guess I mean getting something closer to how nickel looks when aged rather than just pitted chrome ...
    If you want it to look like nickel hardware, replace it with nickel hardware.

:)

Chrome looks nice and shiny, and stays looking nice and shiny... until it doesn't, and then it looks a bit shit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    The chrome finish is electro-plated on top of a layer of nickel and, below that, a layer of copper.

If the pickup cover is separate from the bobbin and coil, it can be immersed in a dilute solution of acid to dissolve back to the nickel.

This procedure is hazardous. It should only be conducted if suitable precautions are taken.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    I thought white vinegar fumes d did  good job of dulling chrome, though I may be wrong 
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 837
    edited April 2023
    Chrome's pretty inert isn't it? It's an electroplate mostly - so it will crack/flake I suppose but wouldn't know how to do that. Heat? Otherwise it just gets dirty as the only aging. Chrome doesn't rust.

I recall cleaning all the traffic grot off the beautifully chromed hubcaps of an old Vauxhall Viva once and - underneath? perfect shiny chrome. Just like new. Lovely.

Vauxhall Viva HA. Let's go Viva! – Oldtimers in Auto Motor Klassiek (amklassiek.nl)

Interesting info. Chrome started to be used less on cars in the 1970's and 80's because most of it came from South Africa who were imposed with sanctions at the time. Then it never got back into fashion in the car industry that much.

Sorry @axisus - not very helpful.
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2778
    Stick the chrome parts in a bag with nails, nuts and bolts and shake it about a bit until it looks like it’s had a life, don’t try removing the shine as chrome shouldn’t lose it
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    ICBM said:

If you want it to look like nickel hardware, replace it with nickel hardware.

I would always buy Nickel if available, it looks so much better. Unfortunately more often than not it is not an option.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    axisus said:

I would always buy Nickel if available, it looks so much better. Unfortunately more often than not it is not an option.
    Ha! My problem is the other way round, I much prefer chrome but so much of what you can get now is nickel...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein