micro terror valve change experiment

reading another thread I felt inspired to try a spare ecc83 I had knocking around, in my little micro terror. wow, it did make quite a bit of difference, the sound was a smoother, creamier distortion and when on clean it seemed brighter and each note was clearer. I swapped back and forth a few times to make sure I wasn't imagining it. but there was a definite difference. ... the newer valve was JJ electronics, and the old valve was.....also a jj electronics, so the same thing .  Only had the thing about a year and bought off someone who hadn't hardly used it so I wouldn't of thought a preamp valve would have worn that quick but im glad I tried it.

all obvious stuff to you experts there but as someone who just likes to plug in and play, I was quite surprised.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I ran one for a while in the house with the little cab and it sounded like a toy, however into a 2x12 cab it was huge sounding.

• yes, I had for a short while the 8inch matching cab, total crap really. got a better sound through my little kustom practise amp with a 6 inch speaker..  but through my laney 212 cab it sounds great. (which is what I bought it for, a back up for gigs)
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4165
    How loud do these things actually go?  I have an Orange 1x12 i'm not currently using...
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    How loud do these things actually go?  I have an Orange 1x12 i'm not currently using...
    I've used mine at a rehearsal with a 1x12 cab (Vintage 30 speaker) and it coped against a drummer and bass player. You can certainly get a big noise out of these little amps.

I've also gigged with it into a pair of 2x12s (when my main head failed) and it performed brilliantly for a pub gig where only the vocals were going through the PA.

Might be different in a single guitar band though.
  • ive used mine in a single guitar band with a loud drummer in a small pub (through a 212) easily loud enough as long as you not want fender cleans.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

Might be different in a single guitar band though.
    WTF am I talking about!

I am in a single guitar band....might be different in a dual guitar band was what I was thinking.
  • it worked fine for that too.