Notchy tone pot?

What's Hot
Hi  folks, just fitted some new pickups into my tele. The tone pot has now become notchy kinda like a tbx pot. Just wondering if the heat from soldering to it has caused this although I don’t believe I over cooked it. When I lift the tone knob, there is some give and the pot operates smoothly. There’s no noise or crackle when turning the pot in it’s notchy state.
Anyone encountered this and is it repairable? Or shall I just replace it.
The Swamp City Shakers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    edited April 2023
    It's probably the underside of the knob rubbing on the top of the bushing. Loosen the grub screw, raise the knob very slightly, then re-tighten it.

Question though... if you were just fitting new pickups, why were you soldering to the tone pot?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 401
    edited April 2023
    ICBM said:
    It's probably the underside of the knob rubbing on the top of the bushing. Loosen the grub screw, raise the knob very slightly, then re-tighten it.

Question though... if you were just fitting new pickups, why were you soldering to the tone pot?
    It’s the same with the knob removed. Really hard to turn  the shaft without the knob on there but frees up when the shaft is pulled out. Given it a blast out with servisol to no avail.
    The Swamp City Shakers
    edited April 2023
    bandmaster188 said:

It’s the same with the knob removed. Really hard to turn  the shaft without the knob on there but frees up when the shaft is pulled out. Given it a blast out with servisol to no avail.
    Ah well... knackered then. Sounds like the back of the pot has melted the rotor a bit.

If you're replacing it anyway and you had soldered the pickup grounds to it, move them (and the jack ground if it's not already) to the volume pot.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SporkySporky Frets: 30210
    Why do people solder to the backs of pots at all? It's difficult and it risks knackering them.

Put a loop of solid wire under a screw into the cavity wall, and solder all the grounds to that. Faster, easier, and safer. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    Sporky said:
    Why do people solder to the backs of pots at all?
    Cheepnis.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Sporky said:
    Why do people solder to the backs of pots at all? It's difficult and it risks knackering them. 
    Because it's traditional, hence right :). (At least in the guitar world.)

If you use a powerful enough iron it's not difficult and there isn't much risk - you just have to get the metal hot enough, quickly.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 401
    edited April 2023
    New pots it is then. Wanted to get rid of the S1 anyway. Cheers for the input!

Sporky said:

Put a loop of solid wire under a screw into the cavity wall, and solder all the grounds to that. Faster, easier, and safer. 
    this sounds highly illegal but intriguing!
    there are already two screw ground points in the cavity so could I make a common ground to these points?
    The Swamp City Shakers
    New pots it is then. Wanted to get rid of the S1 anyway.
    Aha! Makes sense as to why the grounds were connected to the tone pot now.