Cabinets

What's Hot
I'm a tad jaded at the moment because i've recently been looking at downsizing my 4x12 to an angled 2x12. When I research I really crawl into a rabbit hole and dig deep. I've found that most of the mainstream cabinets are made of some kind of generic chip/particle board and yet they're still charging silly amounts for them. Why are we putting up with this? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Because they can get away with it knowing that most buyers don't know how much difference it makes. Most buyers are even unaware of how big a difference the *speakers* make - or in many cases, what type are fitted in their cabs.

If it matters, the Marshall 2061CX is all-ply and excellent. Amazingly, so is the cheapo Harley Benton G212V - including the vertical one - although the non 'V' models aren't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JazzmagJazzmag Frets: 5
    The harley benton ones are made of 'cheap' ply and even the marshall ones are only 15mm thick with chinese made G12H30 but still cost over 500 notes! Last speaker cab I bought was a montage 1x15 which is 18m birch ply it sounds great and was only 120 notes unloaded! I know speaker choice affects sound far more but I feel it's yet another way the instrument industry is taking the piss...

I feel a crusade coming on.
    15mm ply is why those old Marshall cabs sound so vibrant and great.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SporkySporky Frets: 30210
    Build one yourself and you'll understand why they cost money, unless they're made by children and/or slavery. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    edited April 2023
    ICBM said:
    If it matters, the Marshall 2061CX is all-ply and excellent. Amazingly, so is the cheapo Harley Benton G212V - including the vertical one - although the non 'V' models aren't.
    Unless they've changed since I got mine, the regular G212 was ply as well, I think?

EDIT: Seems to be still saying plywood. Also there are some fancier "plus" models with Creambacks, removable back panels etc. which I haven't tried... (and which are more money)

ICBM said:
    15mm ply is why those old Marshall cabs sound so vibrant and great.
    Yeah a lot of manufacturers act like thicker plywood is better, and I thought so too, and then someone (on here I think... I can't remember who!) pointed out that it doesn't actually necessarily sound better and is easier/cheaper to work with!
    Dave_Mc said:

Yeah a lot of manufacturers act like thicker plywood is better, and I thought so too, and then someone (on here I think... I can't remember who!) pointed out that it doesn't actually necessarily sound better and is easier/cheaper to work with!
    Barefaced use very thin stuff - I think about 8mm - not because it's cheaper (it isn't, it's a special type), but because it's lighter. They then build the cabinets with a complex system of internal bracing to retain - in fact increase - stiffness, and their cabinets sound great and certainly aren't cheap. So ply thickness alone is not an indication of quality or performance.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    ICBM said:
    Dave_Mc said:

Barefaced use very thin stuff - I think about 8mm - not because it's cheaper (it isn't, it's a special type), but because it's lighter. They then build the cabinets with a complex system of internal bracing to retain - in fact increase - stiffness, and their cabinets sound great and certainly aren't cheap. So ply thickness alone is not an indication of quality or performance.
    That sounds great, I'm always keen on lighter stuff! I kind of get the feeling (could be completely wrong) that thicker ply maybe sounds more "modern" (everything else being equal), which isn't necessarily what you always want (bit like oversized cabs).
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2778
    Jazzmag said:
    Last speaker cab I bought was a montage 1x15 which is 18m birch ply it sounds great and was only 120 notes unloaded
    You can't even buy a sheet of birch ply for that currently 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom