SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sold: PRICE DROP. Maybach Lester 58

What's Hot
TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8333
edited May 2023 in Guitars £
Awesome guitar, sadly time for its next adventure. 

I’ve owned this guitar for a good while, maybe 18 months or so, which is a lot for me!  I honestly love this guitar, but try as hard as I might, I can’t get on with Gibson style PAFs.  In fact, of my nearly 20 guitars, this and one other have humbuckers, all the others have single coils.  And single coils is my sweet spot.   I was going to put humbuckers sized P90’s in this guitar, but I bought an LP with P90’s instead. 

it’s a 58, so has a nice bit of chunk/chub on the neck, and has excellent Amber pickups. It’s honestly pretty awesome. It’s aged, has fantastic finish checking and very light relicing, little nibbles on the headstock, very minor factory induced dings (not even through to the wood, just in the finish). 

The only damage it’s sustained in my hands is:
1/ a few marks from a guitar stand.  These will be polished out this weekend

2/ loss of a tiny flake of lacquer from the headstock. It just fell off one day. 

3/ Some fool stuck a Bigsby on it (me). 
The Bigsby was added using Vibramate mount.  And will be removed before sale. 

The Bigsby is not included in the sale. 

Anyone who has bought a guitar from me knows I keep them clean, and very well setup.  This guitar is going in for a setup on Saturday. Will get a clean and Polish ready for the new owner. 

It will also loose its Bigaby, which will be transplanted to my new LP. There should be zero marks from the Bigaby, I’ll get my guitar tech to take photos during the process for the new owner. 

Comes in an amazing carved leather effect hard case.  

Looking for £1400. Now £1300

New owner gets to chose strings, gauge, and can even talk to the guitar tech before the setup to ensure it’s to taste. 

I travel up the M4 and M40 regularly, happy to make detours to drop it off. Would rather not send by courier.  

I’m heading to Glasgow tomorrow, so act quick if you live along that route. 

Cheers for looking. 

More photos here: https://imgur.com/a/CKs0cCk

Marlin

edit. Now sold. Thanks for looking. 
0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8333
    edited May 2023
    Replacing it, is this Gibson Custom Shop Murphy’s Lap ultra light aged 1956 Les Paul

Treated myself. https://imgur.com/a/JRHYcYK

don’t tell the wife ;)
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bobaccobobacco Frets: 537
    That’s my kinda LP. Absolutely gorgeous and the perfect amount of relicing. Lovely! GLWTS :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10921
    Great price, I love mine. I think I might slightly prefer this colour though

The best thing about factory dings is they are indistinguishable from non-factory ones :-)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I should have gotten @dazzajl to photograph it for me. His photos are frikin amazing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6073
    edited May 2023
    I might have done…. Let me check. 

Just this one without the Bigsby 

IMG_7091.jpeg 666.4K
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    dazzajl said:

That’s why they pay you the big bucks! 
    Cracking photo sir !
    My two favourite LPs in one shot. Not the most accurate representation of colour but gives a good idea how gorgeous the top is  
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10921
    Yeah it's a beauty
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 928
    TheMarlin said:
    Replacing it, is this Gibson Custom Shop Murphy’s Lap ultra light aged 1956 Les Paul

don’t tell the wife ;)
    Lovely choice that, how you finding the R6?
    edited May 2023

tomajoha said:
    TheMarlin said:

don’t tell the wife
    I’ve always struggled with Les Paul’s, but try from time to time. The Maybach was the best i have ever tried, by a long short, but PAFS sound terrible, woolly, muddy.  I’m a single coil guy.

I bought the R6 on a whim, and it’s knocked my socks off. It sounds like a super fat Telecaster, the neck is truly excellent, as if it had been made for my hands,  pickups are ace, nexk pickup rolled back 10% with tone back 20% gives a glorious woody tone that I can noodle away with for hours - effortless. 

it plays and sustains beautifully (which I’ll ruin shortly with a Bigsby).  I’m honestly super happy with it. Yes, it’s an expensive guitar, but money is technically loosing value in the bank, and inflation is outpacing interest, so why not play with my money! It’s more fun, and these guitars generally sell, so can always get my money back relatively quickly. 

Enjoying it, very much! Honestly, adore the thing!
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 928
    TheMarlin said:

tomajoha said:
    TheMarlin said:

don’t tell the wife
    I’ve always struggled with Les Paul’s, but try from time to time. The Maybach was the best i have ever tried, by a long short, but PAFS sound terrible, woolly, muddy.  I’m a single coil guy.

I bought the R6 on a whim, and it’s knocked my socks off. It sounds like a super fat Telecaster, the neck is truly excellent, as if it had been made for my hands,  pickups are ace, nexk pickup rolled back 10% with tone back 20% gives a glorious woody tone that I can noodle away with for hours - effortless. 

it plays and sustains beautifully (which I’ll ruin shortly with a Bigsby).  I’m honestly super happy with it. Yes, it’s an expensive guitar, but money is technically loosing value in the bank, and inflation is outpacing interest, so why not play with my money! It’s more fun, and these guitars generally sell, so can always get my money back relatively quickly. 

I have a ML and it deffo has some extra mojo, glad to hear you’re having a similar experience 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2820
    tomajoha said:
    TheMarlin said:

tomajoha said:
    TheMarlin said:

don’t tell the wife

I have a ML and it deffo has some extra mojo, glad to hear you’re having a similar experience 
    It really is a great guitar.  I'm not a Les Paul guy either but have tried many times and have been fortunate to own some nice ones, but that Murphy Lab R6 was easily the best.  In fact, objectively, the best guitar I've ever played.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    dazzajl said:

I always say that @dazzajl is my main guitar dealer. Two thirds of that photo is now in my house!  And much more besides!

He deals in GAS and temptations. Beware!!!
    Unfortunately, he has very good taste in guitars and amps. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16413
    I had a Maybach and absolutely loved the sound of the Amber pickups 
    That's a great guitar
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1477
    I think that's my old one.  Bit of a forum slut if so - @monkey42 sold it to me, I sold it to @DrCornelius ...

Those Amber pickups might just be the best PAFs I've ever heard.
    Dodge said:
    I think that's my old one.  Bit of a forum slut if so - @monkey42 sold it to me, I sold it to @DrCornelius ...

Those Amber pickups might just be the best PAFs I've ever heard.
    Yup. Dr Con to me, me to TheMarlin 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7451
    Ah if that’s my old one it’s lovely , lightweight , full of mojo and the pickups are amazing . I don’t get on with Les Pauls but that’s one of the ones I didn’t get on with the least :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I didn’t realise it was such a well lived floozy of a guitar!

it’s had all the frets levelled, polished, and an amazing setup since I’ve had it. Plays amazingly. 

It will be reunited with its pickguard shortly. 
  • THR1LLHAU5THR1LLHAU5 Frets: 181
    I've owned this one too. Absolute cracker. 
    Now £1300
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom