Rosewood Telecaster Kit Project

What's Hot
I ordered a rosewood telecaster kit from @GSPBASSES, which arrived yesterday. It looks great and it’s ideal having everything I need to build the guitar in one box.

I’m going to finish it with Tru Oil, probably using a slurry method. I have no idea how long it’ll be before I have time to sit down and do it, but hopefully it won’t be too long.

Here are a few more photos.

0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    That looks great
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 947
    Looks nice! What pups did you go with? 
    Trading feedback - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/228538/neilybob

flanging_fed “
    A Les Paul, @ThorpyFX ;;Veteran and the 4010 is awesome at volume, it’s like playing Thor’s hammer!” Ref Marshall JCM800 4010 combo 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28444
    Neilybob said:
    Looks nice! What pups did you go with? 
    I’m guessing BKP Yardbirds?
    :D

This should be good ….
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 877
    Blimey, that is awesome.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 834
    Really nice, and rosewood is one of those woods that doesn't really NEED a finish, just a bit of oil to prevent it drying out, 50% of fingerboards are made with it.
    Should be up and running in no time, good luck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9018
    edited May 2023
    That looks like a fantastic kit, and it will be lovely when finished.  I see a lighter wood line around the perimeter inferring that it's a "pancake" body.  Has it been chambered before bonding the slabs together?  If not I would anticipate it could be quite heavy, but I've got a couple of ash tele bodies on maple necks that are probably just as heavy and I still love them despite the weight.
  • Rich31kRich31k Frets: 857
    Thanks everyone. No update yet, but just wanted to add that Graham @GSPBASSES is great to deal with. Everything is top notch, I feel it is good value for money, and Graham’s been happy to answer questions. 

@BillDL it is chambered. The neck and body together are 5lbs 13oz or thereabouts. 

@andy_k Agreed, but I’d like to make it a bit more shiny. 

@TTony is correct - BKP Yardbirds. Graham had a couple of different sets to choose from. 
    Just a word on the choice of oil for the finish, IMO, Tung is quite hard to work with as it takes a while to set, I preferred to use multiple coats of Danish oil, which is a bit thinner and evaporates quicker. Lots of light coats is the answer, which is a true test of patience.
    Another one I quite like is available in Sainsburys, and comes in an aerosol, called Wood Silk, which is just a really thin beeswax.
    It protects the finish, and soaks in quite well on something like Ash, and I have had good results on walnut too.
    Rosewood is already quite an oily wood ( which is why it is often not finished over- just re-oiled ) so it is pretty difficult to get the same results as a hard nitro finish, as far as shine, I guess a high sheen is the best to expect, but it is easy to maintain.
    I have a solid rosewood neck on one of my strats, and I am not sure what to think about the tone of it, certainly something different.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3432
    Love it, and a perfect gas enabling moment -I’m now thinking about ‘needing’ one of these too which I wasn’t when I woke up this morning. Thank you. :)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    I'd agree with @andy_k on finish... keep it simple.

Danish oul will be a better bet than tru-oil if you want to keep it feeling its best.   Normally I would say tru-oil, but rosewood doesn't need as much protection as other woods.

The slurry method works great with Danish oil, and a rub down with natural briwax and 0000 liberon steel wool at the end  before a buff with a so ft clothwill leave it feeling amazing and give a nice natural looking  soft semi gloss
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    @andy_k and @WezV ;;

Thank you. I decided against Tru Oil on your advice, and resolved to buy some Danish oil. 

Then I remembered I had a bottle of this from a project I didn’t end up starting a couple of years ago.

I don’t know what it is beyond the description on the front, but it’s a sort of cloudy white colour. 

edited May 2023

It looks okay after two coats. Still need to give it some more coats and buff it. 

Edit: the body looks better in real life than the photo honest
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 4211
    Well it looks great in the photos so must be amazing IRL.
    Trading feedback thread:https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/172761/drofluf

Sporky: "Drofluf is a reverse vampire, who always appears in mirrors."
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2778
    A water based oil is a new one for me
    elstoof said:
    Same here.  I would have thought that, being "water based", it might have raised the wood grain and required a very fine sanding to remove the "fuzz" before reapplication.
    andy_k said:
    Another one I quite like is available in Sainsburys, and comes in an aerosol, called Wood Silk, which is just a really thin beeswax.  It protects the finish, and soaks in quite well on something like Ash, and I have had good results on walnut too.
    I bought a can of that in Asda a while back to polish up my wooden lounge tables but, after feeling the results, I applied it to a bare mahogany neck and was pleasantly surprised with the nice satiny feel without a trace of waxiness, and not slippery like a silicone based furniture polish.
    Interesting list of ingredients, none I recognise.
    Might be worth giving it a few thin coats, and then trying to forget about it for a couple of weeks before you try to polish it up.
    I do recommend looking for Woodsilk in Sainsburys if you get a chance, it is a pretty foolproof finish for all sorts of things.
    elstoof said:
    Agreed. It looks like they changed the name to “water based wipe on guitar finishing lacquer”. 
    Here’s a video showing the finish on the body after four coats. I did one more after and that’ll do. 

That's looking really nice.  I really like the bookmatching of the top and back.  I'm actually very envious.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    Rich31k said:
    elstoof said:
    Agreed. It looks like they changed the name to “water based wipe on guitar finishing lacquer”. 
    It's not a lacquer either, unless you can redissolve it in water which wouldn't be good.