Anyone bought that Ocean Colour Scene box set?

What's Hot
darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13677
Ocean Colour Scene currently in a reissues campaign, consisting of several eye-wateringly expensive vinyl box sets and one much more reasonably priced 15CD box set.

Very tempted by the latter having dipped in an out of OCS over the years... anybody picked it up?

Does it do anything as a nice bit of product that just listening on Spotify doesn't?

Any big fans of the band generally?

Right, I'm off to catch a train...
You are the dreamer, and the dream...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LPManicLPManic Frets: 1212
    Most overrated band of the 90s. Still, loved The Circle, Get Blown Away, and a few others.

B-sides, Sea sides, and Freerides is one of my favourite albums around that time.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ALRALR Frets: 170
    I didn't care much for them at the time, but I think that has more to do with my immature prejudices because thinking back now they had some pretty good tunes. I've had a look at the boxed sets - I don't think I'd get the first one because two of the albums are split over two discs (a pet peeve of mine), but the second set is piquing my interest.

If any fans chip in could you let us now about One From The Modern, Mechanical Wonder and North Atlantic Drift? I know they weren't as successful or as fashionable by this point but that doesn't necessarily mean they weren't good.

I'm putting in an order for Noely G's new album on Thursday, I might also spring for these too.
    mhep mhep mhep!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10930
    You can listen to everything on Spotify, but will you? For me, the answer is no, which is why I like having a physical library

Having said this, I am less likely to listen to a box set because of the extra faff involved : )
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3499
    ALR said:

If any fans chip in could you let us now about One From The Modern, Mechanical Wonder and North Atlantic Drift? I know they weren't as successful or as fashionable by this point but that doesn't necessarily mean they weren't good.

All their records have been consistently good. Not my favourite band, but one of the best from the era and still fantastic live. 

Cradock has a swagger and style like no other, but Amazon music will do for me over buying a boxset. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3416
    I’m a big OCS fan and love the early albums -I particularly enjoy many of the songs on One From the Modern which I’m aware for others is where they were viewed to have started to slip, it’s still a solid work in my opinion. There are still the odd really good song that has crept in in more ‘recent’ albums such as North Atlantic Drift that would have worked in the early days, but the albums start to feel as if there is filler in there that wouldn’t have made it onto those 90s albums. Absolutely agree with the comment that Craddock has a style like no other and I personally really rate and enjoy his playing and production. 

However, would I buy a box set? No, the good stuff is already out there, plenty of releases have included additional rarities. Sacrilege I know, but just not worth it really when there is plenty available already.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13677
    I really want a vinyl copy of Marchin Already to go with my vinyl copy of Moseley Shoals... no separate release YET sadly... but heck the lads probably need to top up their pension.
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1212
    Read in various interviews with various bands that it is REALLY hard to get vinyl pressed. Backlog is quite substantial. Noel G and Jason Isbell have mentioned sitting on albums for more than 6 months waiting for the vinyl to come in.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6931
     Cradock has a swagger and style like no other.
    He hides it very, very well, then.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    LPManic said:
    Read in various interviews with various bands that it is REALLY hard to get vinyl pressed. Backlog is quite substantial. Noel G and Jason Isbell have mentioned sitting on albums for more than 6 months waiting for the vinyl to come in.
    Indeed, though their two pronged approach of adding capacity and ludicrous price gouging will no doubt fix that.  Double albums are now routinely retailing for £40 - to quote the Scottish "get tae fuck"...

A new UK pressing plant has opened which will help a lot.

Apparently a big part of the capacity problem was because they wanted to press 500,000 copies, an insane amount for vinyl of Adele's 30.  This is why you can now get this album for a tenner everywhere as although it did sell an incredible 318,000 copies on vinyl, there are loads left.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12657
    They were somewhat lumped in with the rest of the Brit Pop bands but I think they had far more ideas than most of them
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10884

Love this performance from TFI Friday back in the day, especially at the end when Chris Evans thinks they're done, and they just carry on regardless. Just brilliant.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6931
    That’s crying out for a second guitarist.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7054

Love this performance from TFI Friday back in the day, especially at the end when Chris Evans thinks they're done, and they just carry on regardless. Just brilliant.

Yeah that’s a great performance. His playing is spot on. Not sure how best to describe it - in the groove and rhythmic maybe. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3129
    I've been a fan for a long time. That 100 Mile High City clip is something I watch very often. Sadly I only got to see them a couple of times in the 90s.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

Reader... I bought it...

Actually listening to OCS's much maligned shoegaze debut album right now, never have before (on streaming it's always easier to just listen to the Circle over and over) it's not nearly as bad as people make out...
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20524
    Looks like Sunday 25th June might be a day out for Northern OCS fans 
    https://www.stonevalleyfestival.co.uk/stone-valley-north-line-ups/
    Some other great bands too but having enjoyed most of them with their original lineups, I might give it a miss.