Peter Green Collection- Auction

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14180
in Guitar tFB Trader
A) just reading an article in the current issue of Guitarist - The one with Kirk and the Greeny on the front cover and b) looking at Bonham's auction in June - It appears as though there may well be around 150 guitars, pedals, amps and other bits - The 2 stars that I've seen him play (not live but in video clips etc) but unsure how many of the other guitars have any 'historic importance' 

• A Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion III Semi-Acoustic Guitar, Ebony finish, 1995. Peter Green's 'comeback guitar' used at Buxton Opera House, used in Splinter Group era. Estimate: £4,000-5,000.

• A National Duolian Style-O 1931 Acoustic Guitar, Steel finish. Estimate: £3,000-5,000.

Frustrating in that the auction appears to currently show one lot - Not sure why or can't I find my way around their site

Guitarist talked about this auction and obviously had access to the guitars for promotional activity/interest within the magazine - But a key point they pointed out was each guitar was set up with a high action, that obviously Pete favoured

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2365
    The auction preview isn't live yet Mark. I'm sure the prices will go much higher too. 
    Saw him a couple of times in the late 90's and met him at a festival that my friends were playing on the same bill. Lovely guy, a little vague of course but really friendly. Watching him live was bittersweet, every now and then his past playing muscle memory seemed to reconnect and there was a moment of brilliance, then it was gone. What a player he was, real beauty. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Had a browse through it tonight nothing of real interest just amazed at the amount of Tanglewood and budget lines almost looks like he popped to his local shop and got fitted with loads of stuff or perhaps he just liked what he liked.

I do remember his comments on a documentary once that he liked that guitar as it had a lot of fish in it. I presume that to be his health issues but it always struck me as a little sad.
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1013
    There used to be a video out there where he showed a few guitars he had in a storage place. They were all budget models as I remember.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    Perhaps he twigged that a budget model is  perfectly adequate  in reality when the vanity is stripped away ,but then he was touched of course ...wasnt he ?
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    edited June 2023
    A friend of mine had an early 70s Les Paul Deluxe he used some time in the 90s, routed for a bridge humbucker - it was nothing special, and the mods were done before Green played it for one gig (he never owned it)... he had a photo of Green holding it and some written provenance. He traded it away for something else, and it later re-appeared at a certain notorious dealer with a description of being owned by Green (he didn’t), a ‘69 (it wasn’t) ‘specially modified for Peter Green’ (it wasn’t) ‘used for touring and recording’ (it wasn’t) and a *much* higher price tag... he did genuinely play it once, but that kind of bullshit is utterly typical of anything now associated with a man who really didn’t care about guitars and would use anything to hand.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6143
    PG was disdainful of gear nerds who asked him about equipment. There's a live recording from the '60s where between tracks he's chatting to the audience and taking the piss out of them. 

He was still the same when Guitarist interviewed him about whether he would have wanted to get the Greeny LP back. No, he said, "sounds too Parisienne".

I'm not surprised that a lot of his gear was budget. He'd have sounded like PG with an Avon bolt-neck SG copy with faux humbuckers running into a Diezel.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    There used to be a video out there where he showed a few guitars he had in a storage place. They were all budget models as I remember.
    That was the one where he described himself as “a keyboard player” I think? You’re right, most of the guitars were fairly cheap.   
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1013
    I seem to remember that the only guitar he reminisced about was a Hofner, or Sovereign, or something like that. His first guitar no doubt.
  • AlexHunterAlexHunter Frets: 422
    @ICBM this one I assume?

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18660
    edited June 2023
    Collectors that worship guitars that were owned by celebrities need to be reminded of the sale of Cormac McCarthy's typewriter.
    A giant of American literature, I reckon he can reasonably be compared to guitar hero's.
    https://archive.nytimes.com/artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/04/cormac-mccarthys-typewriter-brings-254500-at-auction/
    The last paragraph is simply perfect... 
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    @ICBM this one I assume?
    Looks like it, yes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WafflesOnHorsebackWafflesOnHorseback Frets: 106
    edited June 2023

• WafflesOnHorsebackWafflesOnHorseback Frets: 106
    edited June 2023
    That is very good to know ICBM because my buddy (huge PG fan) was watching that and thinking of making a bid. I said: "google JH dude" and showed him the Matt Albright video. He had a very lucky escape IMO. 

The description is very errr....interesting.

( Sorry mods I seem to have double posted or something. Newbie error! )

• There used to be a video out there where he showed a few guitars he had in a storage place. They were all budget models as I remember.
    Enjoy!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1922
    Cheap guitars and he still made them all sound better than us. So why do we spend so much on guitars again?

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    Devil#20 said:
    Cheap guitars and he still made them all sound better than us. So why do we spend so much on guitars again?
    Because it's fun?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • jmf1928jmf1928 Frets: 66
    Someone paid 320£ for his Mooer delay. He really did have a lot of stuff around. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    Yes I think I saw that. He was asked by the interviewer why Pete had no Les Paul’s. Think he replied they were unlucky for him. Probably right lol 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/