(Solved) Am I safe to sand the back of my trem cavity down a bit?

What's Hot
TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
edited May 2023 in Making & Modding
Hello!

So I snagged another Charvel (this time in the colour I like), adjusted the Floyd height to taste, & sadly the increase in action has also meant the springs are chewing into the wood, making a horrible noise as they do so.

I first tried using some foam to raise the middle of the spring since I want to foam the block up anyway, but that just resulted in the hook part of the spring coming out of the block.

Probably just need a few mil off across the back, but I figured I'd post here just in case I'm on the verge of doing something very stupid to a brand new guitar

Cheers.

Edit: I found the right thickness of foam to take the springs away from the wood without going so far as to pull them out of the block! Calling that done for now - NGD thread later, maybe :3

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    longer block needed?
    or first check no shim in neck pocket too- "if" shimmed may be that trem had to be raised to give the action you wanted but lose the shim and it may be that your ideal action then neds the trem lowering again and maybe enough to stop the springs rubbing.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Honestly I'd no idea swapping just the block was an option, It's a FR1000 I believe, so if I can swap, there should be plenty of documentation for it at least!

No shim unfortunately.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    edited June 2023
    Tenebrous said:
    I'd no idea swapping just the block was an option, It's a FR1000 I believe, so if I can swap, there should be plenty of documentation for it at least!
    Changing blocks involves undoing three screws. Unfortunately, first, you have to remove the saddles to access the three screws.

On a genuine FR sustain block, there should be a two digit number stamped into the metal. Whatever number is on your block, add three millimetres to it and order that.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom