What naff product from the past would you like to bring back?

What's Hot

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13587
    Sporky said:
    Deadman said:
    56k modems. Oh how we laughed.
    Zee-bong! 
    Schchchchchch 
    beebbeepboopbeeopboopbeepbeepbeep 
    [pause] 
    eeee-doooooing-eee-doiioong 
    zzzeeebonggggzeeebonggggg
    scshhghghhchhhchchhhhhasccchhh

Today’s kids will never appreciate the level of demented electric donkey noises we used to go through….

go stand in a field and listen to the Skylarks  -  
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12878
    bertie said:
    Burtons London Grill

Heinz Toast Toppers

Mathews  frozen turkey sausages

Instant Whip - Vanilla,    different and much better than Angel Delight
    Agreed Instant Whip was much nicer than Angel Delight, less chemical tasting and without the grittiness you sometimes got with AD. Toast Toppers though, bleurgh… like eating mushroom flavoured warmed up vomit. 
  • Longlife beer .
    boogieman said:
     Toast Toppers though, bleurgh… like eating mushroom flavoured warmed up vomit. 
    Mushroom and Bacon,  with grated cheese on................. nom nom  
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12657
    My mate Tony had a chopper in the late 70s, one time we were on it and I was riding pillion, he coughed up a huge greeny and spat it out, the wind carried it sideways into a group of fully booted up skinheads on our estate. Believe me when I say a Chopper could go fast as fuck with 5 or 6 boneheads running after you. The next few weeks were frought with danger and regular chases from the boots and braces lads, it was only resolved when my older cousin also a skinhead had a word with them as unbeknownst to me at the time they were mates. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12856
    Philly_Q said:
    boogieman said:

My mum is/was seriously the worst cook ever. My dad and me were in heaven when they brought out Vesta meals…. food you could actually eat and enjoy! I used to love cooking the crispy noodly things you got with the chow mein. The curry was a bit weird though, it was full of sultanas. 
    When we had "curry" at home, as made by my stepmother, I'm pretty sure the main ingredients were carrots, onions, probably tinned tomatoes, curry powder... and mince.  All cooked in a pressure cooker.  Then she would put out all these little dishes of things we could add if we wished - sultanas, nuts, desiccated coconut and satsuma segments.

All very weird, but it was one of the better meals she ever cooked.
    I watched Rick Stein in India this morning and he was served a curry with sultanas, cashews, coconut pieces and dried milk to put on it, she sounds pretty authentic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6374
    edited June 2023
    Spangles.
    Berni Inns. 

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • historyisjunkhistoryisjunk Frets: 500
    edited June 2023
    More sadistic than naff- Izal medicated toilet paper.
    Ideal for if you had visitors you wanted to discourage from returning. You just kept a roll of the normal stuff under a loose floor board for when you went in.

Maxwell house coffee is good for unwelcome guests too.  Just remembered that "mellow birds" stuff was even worse.

• More sadistic than naff- Izal medicated toilet paper.
    At my bloody prep school whenever we needed to trace a map in Geography, the teacher, who happened to be the headmaster, would go off to the loos and come back with sheets of Izal to use as tracing paper.

At my bloody prep school whenever we needed to trace a map in Geography, the teacher, who happened to be the headmaster, would go off to the loos and come back with sheets of Izal to use as tracing paper.

make great "comb kazoos" tho
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12878
    Ideal for if you had visitors you wanted to discourage from returning. You just kept a roll of the normal stuff under a loose floor board for when you went in.

Maxwell house coffee is good for unwelcome guests too.  Just remembered that "mellow birds" stuff was even worse.

My dad always insisted on having Izal paper, so we ended up with two toilet roll holders in the bathroom. One so he could sandpaper his arse and the other with soft stuff, for normal people. 

Camp coffee was even worse than Maxwell House. My granny loved the stuff, but then she was weird and also had sterilised milk delivered by choice! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16654
    boogieman said:

My dad always insisted on having Izal paper, so we ended up with two toilet roll holders in the bathroom. One so he could sandpaper his arse and the other with soft stuff, for normal people. 

Camp coffee was even worse than Maxwell House. My granny loved the stuff, but then she was weird and also had sterilised milk delivered by choice! 
    I spent a lot of my childhood with my nan and she had sterilised milk and Camp coffee. Although she also had a teasmade which seemed quite sophisticated. For an old woman from the Black Country she was well travelled (California, Spain, Switzerland, etc)but it hadn't rubbed off on her tastes and she still preferred to live much of her life as if it were 1932. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4626

I’m really into mellow birds
    Ooh camp coffee was lush 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

I’m really into mellow birds
    does the wife know ?
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4491
    boogieman said:

I spent a lot of my childhood with my nan and she had sterilised milk and Camp coffee. Although she also had a teasmade which seemed quite sophisticated. For an old woman from the Black Country she was well travelled (California, Spain, Switzerland, etc)but it hadn't rubbed off on her tastes and she still preferred to live much of her life as if it were 1932. 
    My dad was a big camp coffee fan. I quite like it too. 

Mum and dad still use a teasmade. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• More sadistic than naff- Izal medicated toilet paper.

I remember the same at my primary & senior school. I wouldn't be surprised it they used it as greasproof paper for bring & buy sales too. Happy days.
    One of my first jobs was in the "industrial" bit of the civil service & we used to distribute bog paper that was possibly a grade down from Izal. It had "government property" stamped on every sheet- like someone would actually nick it.

I somehow got used to it, but I think it was genuinely a horrible thing to inflict on women & anyone who might have had Crohns, IBS etc & had to go to the toilet a lot. I seriously doubt Permanent Secretaries, politicians or the Royal Family had to use it.

Regarding coffee-
    My great aunt liked Camp Coffee too & my recollection is it was better than Nastle & maxwell hoose. She also put it in coffee cake & my recollection of that is it was very nice.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11716
    edited June 2023
    ICBM said:
    crunchman said:

£950 is outrageous as well.
    Probably not when a Mexican reissue Strat costs that now...
    You can buy a decent alloy framed bike with disk brakes for £600:

Assuming the new Chopper is a lump of cheap steel like the original, £950 is grotesquely overpriced.  It's more like an American Fender - same as the Mexican one but a massive markup on it.
    crunchman said:
    ICBM said:
    crunchman said:

£950 is outrageous as well.
    Probably not when a Mexican reissue Strat costs that now...
    You can buy a decent alloy framed bike with disk brakes for £600:

Assuming the new Chopper is a lump of cheap steel like the original, £950 is grotesquely overpriced.  It's more like an American Fender - same as the Mexican one but a massive markup on it.
    I’m betting the new one is more like an encore, marlin or sunny mustang strat 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24994
    boogieman said:
    I have a theory that Camp coffee and gravy browning were the same thing.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom