SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: Gibson ES 335 Joe Bonamassa 61 Reissue 2012 Sunburst

What's Hot
Hi
Long shot I know, but anyone looking to move one on?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• uksaint7uksaint7 Frets: 320
    I was working for a Gibson dealer when these came out, we had to send two of them back the finishing was so poor. Just a heads up in case you do come across one.
  • Norlin4lifeNorlin4life Frets: 338
    uksaint7 said:
    I was working for a Gibson dealer when these came out, we had to send two of them back the finishing was so poor. Just a heads up in case you do come across one.
    Interesting! Is that why I've seen a couple that have had re-finishes or aftermarket relic'ing?
  • andy8andy8 Frets: 3
    How much are these worth these days? I have one and the last couple I’ve seen listed on reverb were around £6k - that would tempt me to sell mine! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • infuzedinfuzed Frets: 5
    I just missed one for £3.2k
    Last one on here went for £3k
    There was one in Brighton Guitar shop but with a dink in the neck for £3.5k, not sure it sold before they closed down, just wasn't for me at that price as could feel the dink too much.

Foreign prices between £5-6k but that's because the £ is in the toilet...

The 2 i have played have been ok finishes, not pristine but good players
    There are a number that have aftermarket 'ageing' like the one that sold on here
    Interested to hear of anyone else with experience of these and if the finishing was not so great?

I am basically after a burst with mickey mouse ears and 61 neck profile 
    58/59 a little too chunky for my hands
    late 60's get too thin for me also... 

• Norlin4lifeNorlin4life Frets: 338
    Isn’t there a ‘59 body with ‘
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1534
    infuzed said:
    There was one in Brighton Guitar shop but with a dink in the neck for £3.5k, not sure it sold before they closed down, just wasn't for me at that price as could feel the dink too much.

There are a number that have aftermarket 'ageing' like the one that sold on here
    Interested to hear of anyone else with experience of these and if the finishing was not so great?

There's a sunburst Made To Measure one on here with Mickey Mouse ears and a '63 neck with an ebony fingerboard. If I had anywhere near the cash at the moment I'd have had it instantly. Please buy it before I sell the tv
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3465
    andy8 said:
    How much are these worth these days? I have one and the last couple I’ve seen listed on reverb were around £6k - that would tempt me to sell mine! 
    I sold one last year for £3k, so thats a proper chancer. They are great guitars, but at the time I had a 63ri which blew its socks off. 
    infuzed said:

There's a sunburst Made To Measure one on here with Mickey Mouse ears and a '63 neck with an ebony fingerboard. If I had anywhere near the cash at the moment I'd have had it instantly. Please buy it before I sell the tv
    Missed that post... not a big fan of that 'aged' headstock though
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1534
    infuzed said:
    infuzed said:

Missed that post... not a big fan of that 'aged' headstock though
    Yeah, I know what you mean - other than the relicing that's pretty much my ideal 335
    #StuartMac290
    The Bonamassa that sold on here a couple of months ago had that relicing all over... 
    Way too much for my taste

Makes me wonder if all that is too cover something as that level of artificial patina is not a natural look and was too formulaic to look realistic. Each to their own but is now making me wonder about the finishing on that model...

Also some seem to have a long scratch guard, and others not, which is VERY odd if it's supposed to be an Artist replica that had a short pickguard!

Gibson are a mystery and SO inconsistent
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3534
    infuzed said:
    Also some seem to have a long scratch guard, and others not, which is VERY odd if it's supposed to be an Artist replica that had a short pickguard!
    I never realised this! Mine is a long guard...I've got #156 and it's a really nice guitar...no finish issues.

I bought it, in-person, and thought it needed a setup...but they had just landed and there was a bit of a feeding frenzy going on in the shop at the time so I stuck with my choice. On closer inspection, it turned out to be a high fret so I took it for a proper fret job...after that, it plays like a dairy product.

Minor gripes:
    • one half of the top shows flame under certain lighting conditions (wonder who got the other half?)
    • maybe the fingerboard could have been darker(!)

infuzed said:
    I never realised this! Mine is a long guard...I've got #156 and it's a really nice guitar...no finish issues.

I bought it, in-person, and thought it needed a setup...but they had just landed and there was a bit of a feeding frenzy going on in the shop at the time so I stuck with my choice. On closer inspection, it turned out to be a high fret so I took it for a proper fret job...after that, it plays like a dairy product.

Minor gripes:
    • one half of the top shows flame under certain lighting conditions (wonder who got the other half?)

Interesting
    Very odd that they would fit long guards when Joe's clearly has a short.
    Seems there were issues in the finish, set up and general inconsistencies...
    Gibson thru and thru, why Larry ended up at Sire...

infuzed said:
    infuzed said:

Minor gripes:

Interesting
    Very odd that they would fit long guards when Joe's clearly has a short.
    Seems there were issues in the finish, set up and general inconsistencies...
    Gibson thru and thru, why Larry ended up at Sire...

Yep, it's not surprising...I've just flicked through the Google and there's a mix of long and short guards (wonder if there's a pattern in the serial numbers). They were all very similar to mine in terms of burst, top/flame, and fingerboard...so that's something.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15234
    tFB Trader
    I sold a used example about 2 years ago now - Maybe a touch longer - I kept it for a while before offering it for sale - Quite simply one of the best 'vintage flavoured' 335's I've ever played - My issue with it is why call it a JoBo 335 - Why not just call it a 335 and make 100's of them with the same spec 

I'd be amazed if you can get one for £3k ish - I'd be in any race to buy one at that price
    I sold a used example about 2 years ago now - Maybe a touch longer - I kept it for a while before offering it for sale - Quite simply one of the best 'vintage flavoured' 335's I've ever played - My issue with it is why call it a JoBo 335 - Why not just call it a 335 and make 100's of them with the same spec 

I'd be amazed if you can get one for £3k ish - I'd be in any race to buy one at that price
    Not expecting to pay 3k for it, but most/all have gone between 3.2 and 3.995 in uk over past year but a good few of these have generally had 'relicing' added which devalues.
    around 4k is my budget above/below dependent on state of the instrument.

Was yours a long pickguard or short...?
    I was fairly ambivalent about JoBo...got mine for the look/spec...first thing I did was put a new set of knobs on and restring it the proper way ;)
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3482
    Best new 335 I’ve ever experienced in a shop was a JoBo. The others in the shop sounded like cardboard banjos. Wasn’t well setup or finished but sounded great. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15234
    tFB Trader
    infuzed said:

Not expecting to pay 3k for it, but most/all have gone between 3.2 and 3.995 in uk over past year but a good few of these have generally had 'relicing' added which devalues.
    around 4k is my budget above/below dependent on state of the instrument.

Was yours a long pickguard or short...?
    can' recall - to much water under the bridge since then and have no web pics from back then - Sorry can't help