The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    :(

Well shit. He always seemed like a really fantastic guy.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
     https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/137620/villeneuve-hamilton-may-now-be-unbeatable

Typo?  Surely the title should be ‘Villeneuve - Hamilton may now be unbearable’?
    James Key is joining McLaren from Toro Rosso as Technical Director; clearly they've accepted that their wretched matrix structure with three equal technical leads responsible for chassis, engineering and aero wasn't working.

McLaren: James Key to join as technical director from Toro Rosso http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/44961301
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    It’s being reported that Force India has gone into Administration.  Does this make it a cheap buy for Lance Strolls dad?

It’s being reported that Force India has gone into Administration.  Does this make it a cheap buy for Lance Strolls dad?
    Yes, or anyone of the other potential buyers that have been mooted lately. Looks like Checo, BWT and Mercedes are all sick of Vijay dicking about. The team will keep going (almost certainly), so it's probably a good thing in the long run. 
    Yes, or anyone of the other potential buyers that have been mooted lately. Looks like Checo, BWT and Mercedes are all sick of Vijay dicking about. The team will keep going (almost certainly), so it's probably a good thing in the long run. 
    Apparently it was triggered by Perez asking for £3 million he’s owed, and that Force India hasn’t got.

The latest hat in the ring for the role of financial saviour is a Russian billionaire with a son (who I’ve never heard of) in GP3.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22097
    Looks like Ocon is off to Renault to replace Carlos Sainz Jr. With Ricciardo looking like he's staying at Red Bull, Sainz might well fit at McLaren as a replacement for either driver depending on how Fernando feels about the future. 

You can't blame McLaren for replacing Vandoorne if they choose to do so. He's probably a quick driver in a shitbag of a ca, but he's getting smashed by Alonso. At least if they hire a Sainz they get a known quantity as we know he's almost matched both Verstappen and Hulkenberg. It'll be a shame for Stoff tho. And frankly, a shame for Sainz, as McLaren is clearly a step backwards if he has to go there
    This whole chain reaction is waiting for Ricciardo to sign.  Sainz only becomes a free agent if Red Bull confirms that he’s not being offered a seat at the senior team.  Once that happens, Sainz is off to McLaren and Ocon slots into Renault, leaving the second Force India seat for the son of whoever bales them out.

Vandoorne’s fate probably depends on whether or not Alonso decides to stay next year.  If he does, Vandoorne’s looking for a seat elsewhere.
    Good qualifying.  Goes to show what a bit of rain does to shake it up a bit and who can raise to the challenge of a wet track.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Great quali .... the FIA need to install sprinklers at more tracks .. ;-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    edited July 2018
    Not sure about that race.  I suppose it was a good win for LH and sets him up for the summer break, but it was mostly quite dull.  Ricciardo did well coming from the back, but Red Bull's exasperation with Renault was clear from Christian Horners comments regarding the quality of the product they are buying.   I suppose the three week break will be dominated by the Force India matter.

• HoofHoof Frets: 491
    Not wrong there. That was a remarkably dull race for the most part, even in a season of remarkably dull races. 

But then Budapest usually is, with a few exceptions.
    Hoof said:
    Not wrong there. That was a remarkably dull race for the most part, even in a season of remarkably dull races. 

I agree, although Bottas versus Vettel was interesting until the inevitable happened.

Fretwired said:
    Hoof said:

I agree, although Bottas versus Vettel was interesting until the inevitable happened.
    Bottas was lucky to get off effectively scott-free with a no-impact 10s penalty; two avoidable accidents at the same corner.
    Cols said:
    Fretwired said:
    Hoof said:

Bottas was lucky to get off effectively scott-free with a no-impact 10s penalty; two avoidable accidents at the same corner.
    I was surprised RB didn't warn Ricciardo that Bottas had no front end and to avoid going around the outside. You could see that incident coming a mile off. 

Anyhoo, Bottas apparently not impressed with Toto's "wingman" comment. I'm sure Toto didn't mean it in a bad way, but if Bottas has only just realised that he's obviously the new Barrichello then he should probably get used to it, or get his elbows out more... It's not that Ham is contractual #1, just that he's quicker 80% of the time so he doesn't need to be
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12315
    Cols said:
    Fretwired said:
    Hoof said:

I was surprised RB didn't warn Ricciardo that Bottas had no front end and to avoid going around the outside. You could see that incident coming a mile off. 

Ricciardo said after the race he knew Bottas had problems and had already hit Vettel. Either he thought he’d steam through ok on braking or Bottas would give him the space. He was lucky it didn’t do more damage to the Red Bull. 

Cols said:
    Fretwired said:
    Hoof said:

Not really .. it didn't affect Vettel who got second spot and Mercedes were on the ball and got Bottas to give Ricciardo the place back. They were racing incidents. No action needed to be taken. A 10 second penalty would have made no difference.

Anyhoo, Bottas apparently not impressed with Toto's "wingman" comment. I'm sure Toto didn't mean it in a bad way, but if Bottas has only just realised that he's obviously the new Barrichello then he should probably get used to it, or get his elbows out more... It's not that Ham is contractual #1, just that he's quicker 80% of the time so he doesn't need to be
    Bottas was OK with it in the end ...

Bottas said "I was disappointed with my end result and saw everything in a negative way for a moment. I know what he [Wolff] meant. He would have said the same about Lewis if he'd been in the same situation. We are on equal terms and I trust that 100% on that. All good."