The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26742
    edited September 2018
    Aaaand just shared a lift with Sean Bratches. Apparently Singapore is quite a small town!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lewismlewism Frets: 250
    Kimi’s been surprisingly talkative and pretty funny in the press conference:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zzJicWmy8dA
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    What a pole lap from Lewis ... :astonished:

Vettel looks like a beaten man ... should be a tatsy start tomorow .. Ham, Mad Max and Vettel on the edge ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep, that lap was utterly amazing, like Senna's pole lap at Monaco.... unreal.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• ColsCols Frets: 6953
    Well, that was an eye-popping lap.  Where the hell did that come from?
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    Was really surprised at Ferrari's (lack of) pace.

But not surprised that they were the only ones to try the Ultras even though the data didn't support it. Egos and hierarchy keep undermining their strategy calls. 

Red ones are better. 
    Accidents aside, that was pretty bloody dull.  Force India should get Perez down to the optician to get his peripheral vision checked out, he seems blissfully unaware of other cars alongside him.
  • I quite enjoyed some of the battling in the midfield. Up front it was a bit of a stroll for Lewis, especially after Ferrari dropped the ball with the strategy (again). 

And yeah, Perez had an absolute shocker! Feel sorry for Ocon, I think he's shown enough talent to be given another shot somewhere but his options look limited.
    Unfortunately for Ocon, Perez can offer Force India tens of millions of good reasons to retain him for next year.

I’ve looked back at the Sirotkin incident, and it’s a deliberate and bad-tempered side swipe.  Perez should have been black flagged and given a one race ban.
  • Cols said:
    Unfortunately for Ocon, Perez can offer Force India tens of millions of good reasons to retain him for next year.

I’ve looked back at the Sirotkin incident, and it’s a deliberate and bad-tempered side swipe.  Perez should have been black flagged and given a one race ban.
    He should have already been penalised for causing an avoidable accident after the first lap IMO. For incidents like Perez's that end up ruining his own race anyway, they should look at grid penalties for the following race instead of drive throughs. That would be a more l legitimate use for grid penalties than the bullshit engine/gearbox penalties we see so much of.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    edited September 2018
    Cols said:

Agreed, that side swipe was deliberate and petulant, he should have been disqualified same as Seb should have been last year at Baku.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Cols said:

Looks like Ocon will be the Mercedes reserve driver unless ..... personally I'd bin Bottas. He's currently going backwards. Send him back to Williams and hire Ocon.

• I think they'll give Bottas one more year. He is a number two and he's doing his job OK this year despite some shitty luck He's pretty much level with Kimi in an inferior car in the DC, Mercedes are ahead in the CC. If Bottas finishes third in the DC this year, then he's done alright. 

Ocon will get the reserve seat, some testing time, and a seat at the Merc Formula E team. Keep his powder dry, see what happens for the next season. Sometimes it is best to be patient for a year than to take a shitty seat. 

I think they'll give Bottas one more year. He is a number two and he's doing his job OK this year despite some shitty luck He's pretty much level with Kimi in an inferior car in the DC, Mercedes are ahead in the CC. If Bottas finishes third in the DC this year, then he's done alright. 

Ocon will get the reserve seat, some testing time, and a seat at the Merc Formula E team. Keep his powder dry, see what happens for the next season. Sometimes it is best to be patient for a year than to take a shitty seat. 
    Ocon can only drive for Mercedes unless Toto releases him from his Mercedes contract. That's the problem and why other teams don't want him. Bottas has been off the pace for a number of races and hasn't won one this year - OK he was unlucky in Baku but Rosberg used to win races. Mercedes are lucky that Ferrari and Vettel have made mistakes when they had the better car. Kimi has had some bad luck -  a DNF in Spain, but he has consistently beaten Bottas and I'd back him for third place.

Bottas was strong in the early races but now seems to be going backwards. I rate Ocon a better driver.

• Overall I think Ocon will prove to be the better driver. But the contract situation and the lack of seats means it is a year of patience. 

Overall I think Ocon will prove to be the better driver. But the contract situation and the lack of seats means it is a year of patience. 
    Not really. Mercedes could send Bottas back to Williams with some cash to Williams. They already offered Williams some cash with Ocon but Williams declined due to the Mercedes contract clause. There is no such clause with Bottas and Mercedes have spare cash as they've shut down their young driver programme. Mercedes want Ocon to be a Mercedes driver .. that's the problem.

George Russell could get a seat at Williams but there's the same issue as Ocon - the Mercedes contract. It may make more sense to have him as a test driver at Mercedes for the experience.

I think Bottas will need to up his game in the remaining races. Kimi won't be at Ferrari next year and you can bet the senior management will shake the team up. Too many mistakes made this year. I'd back Leclerc to beat Bottas next year.

Bottas was on a par with Hamilton earlier in the year. Hamilton is currently making him look average.

• Right now Hamilton is making that German bloke in a Ferrari look quite average at times... 

From Toto Wolff when the contract was announced:

"When we took the decision in favour of Valtteri for 2019, it wasn't just about his undoubted speed and work ethic, but also a question of character...His relationship with the team, including Lewis, is open and trusting, without any politics at all. Those are the ingredients you need when you're fighting strong rivals in both championships and they mirror the values inside the team."

Giving someone a contract extension then throwing them onto the scrapheap that is Williams would be rather shitting on those preached values. If you put Ocon in a crap Williams, you won't learn much new about him. Put Russell in there and you will. With testing so limited over a season now, you want to maximise that time. Ocon will give you more than Russell and would be less likely to dump it in the armco. 

Mercedes want Ocon to be a Mercedes driver and you can bet money on Ocon wanting to be a full Silver Arrows driver. With Ferrari looking secure and the Red Bull performance unknown once Honda come on board, only Ferrari and Mercedes can be said to be standout teams ie. good engine, good aero, not unknown quantities. I'd wait a year if it meant getting into one of those two teams. 

Right now Hamilton is making that German bloke in a Ferrari look quite average at times... 

From Toto Wolff when the contract was announced:

"When we took the decision in favour of Valtteri for 2019, it wasn't just about his undoubted speed and work ethic, but also a question of character...His relationship with the team, including Lewis, is open and trusting, without any politics at all. Those are the ingredients you need when you're fighting strong rivals in both championships and they mirror the values inside the team."

Giving someone a contract extension then throwing them onto the scrapheap that is Williams would be rather shitting on those preached values. If you put Ocon in a crap Williams, you won't learn much new about him. Put Russell in there and you will. With testing so limited over a season now, you want to maximise that time. Ocon will give you more than Russell and would be less likely to dump it in the armco. 

Mercedes want Ocon to be a Mercedes driver and you can bet money on Ocon wanting to be a full Silver Arrows driver. With Ferrari looking secure and the Red Bull performance unknown once Honda come on board, only Ferrari and Mercedes can be said to be standout teams ie. good engine, good aero, not unknown quantities. I'd wait a year if it meant getting into one of those two teams. 

Toto made those comments before Ocon found he didn't have a race seat. After Sunday I'm not sure the Russian will have a seat - he was a mobile chicane. Williams could have Russell and Ocon with some cash and a discount on engines. Ferrari has a development team, Red Bull has a development team, Williams could be Mercedes development team.

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    How can you get a discount on something given to you at cost? Sirotkin pays Williams a lot of money already.
    Fretwired said:

After Sunday I'm not sure the Russian will have a seat - he was a mobile chicane. 
    In Sirotkin’s defence, he was driving a crippled car.  He picked up damage from the aftermath of Ocon and Perez’s first lap shunt, and then further damage from Perez’s mid race hissy fit.  Kind of a double whammy from Checo.